Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by cipher »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:32 am
cipher wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:40 am
Angryunibrow wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:26 am
There supposedly working on supporting Dolby Vision, right now it will not work using MKVtoolnix
Angryunibrow, when you say they are working on supporting Dolby Vision, do you mean supporting DV in general or the specific implementation of DV that the MakeMKV team has enabled in version 1.15.1? The reason I'm asking is that MKVTOOLNIX has allowed us to select the DV layer for a while now which creates an MKV with this track.
https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/2784
It looks like that Request is referring to MP4 file support with Dolby Vision. Also, whenever I've selected the Dolby Vision track from a UHD in MKVTOOLNIX it would create an MKV with a Dolby vision track that had a codec id of V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC and not Quicktime like the FR description.

Now, I'm not saying the DV track they are creating would work anywhere (I've never seen that online), but I just wanted confirmation that MKVTOOLNIX won't alter the DV track we can now create with this latest version of MakeMKV. If it does alter the DV video track, then I'll temporarily store the other MKV alongside my main "DV" MKV until they support merging MKV's without changing the DV track.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:36 am
Sgt Hartman wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:05 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
Hi, I succeed with the previous method without using MakeMKV, now I want to give it a try in this but I'm not very into eac3to. I'm using the version with GUI 1.2.9, after selecting the file, what should I do?
Capture.PNG
About TSmuxer, shall I use the nightly version or also the standard one is fine?
Uh, never really used the eac3to GUI. I assume you just set an output file with the settings you have listed there and output the THD+AC3 file. As for TSMuxer, I'm using a custom one but you can try the nightly. The normal version won't work as it's not been updated for DV....that's a recent addition.
In step 1, do you use the m2ts file after opening up the disc, or the mpls file? Should i leave all languages checked?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

omk1980 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:10 am

In step 1, do you use the m2ts file after opening up the disc, or the mpls file? Should i leave all languages checked?
I'm confused by your question. Step 1 is to rip the disc to MKV using MakeMKV so you're not doing anything with m2ts or mpls files. You're using MakeMKV to select the proper title and rip it to MKV. I personally don't keep languages I don't care about. My default profile rules in MakeMKV is to select only english HD audio tracks and PGS subs. Everything else gets deselected, including any core audio tracks. But that's just my rules you can select what you'd like to keep.
henkeli

Post by henkeli »

Related question - does anyone believe that projectors will one day be able to do anything with DV input?
I mean, ones that are for consumer market - not those that are $100K units or whatever.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:13 am
omk1980 wrote:

I'm confused by your question. Step 1 is to rip the disc to MKV using MakeMKV so you're not doing anything with m2ts or mpls files. You're using MakeMKV to select the proper title and rip it to MKV. I personally don't keep languages I don't care about. My default profile rules in MakeMKV is to select only english HD audio tracks and PGS subs. Everything else gets deselected, including any core audio tracks. But that's just my rules you can select what you'd like to keep.
Yeah, I used the mkv. i think the issue before was that i didn't let eac3to completely finish, hence freezing 90 secs in.

I've got a ts file that now plays dolby vision/atmos streamed from my unraid server to my 2019 shield all hard-wired over local network, but it's choppy. When I compare the ts file to the whole disc backup playable from my nas on my oppo 203, there's no choppiness to the playback.

I'm just trying to go through and try and figure out where I might have gone wrong. Are you having any choppiness issues? It's like the movie is going at 20fps instead of 24fps.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Nope none whatsoever. I watched bumblebee earlier with zero issues. I'm absolutely loving it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

omk1980 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:06 am
SamuriHL wrote:
omk1980 wrote:

Yeah, I used the mkv. i think the issue before was that i didn't let eac3to completely finish, hence freezing 90 secs in.

I've got a ts file that now plays dolby vision/atmos streamed from my unraid server to my 2019 shield all hard-wired over local network, but it's choppy. When I compare the ts file to the whole disc backup playable from my nas on my oppo 203, there's no choppiness to the playback.

I'm just trying to go through and try and figure out where I might have gone wrong. Are you having any choppiness issues? It's like the movie is going at 20fps instead of 24fps.
try turning off the new player in your plex settings and make sure frame rate match is turned on. both options can be found on the same line under plex settings.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

henkeli wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:36 am
Related question - does anyone believe that projectors will one day be able to do anything with DV input?
I mean, ones that are for consumer market - not those that are $100K units or whatever.
I hope so. Seems like projectors lag behind tv tech by a couple of years. DV would be hard for PJ's bc you can't standardize the image due to everyone's set up being different. I'm just hoping hdmi 2.1 PJ's will be announced at cedia this year, but i'm not holding my breath.
omk1980

Post by omk1980 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:33 am
omk1980 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:

try turning off the new player in your plex settings and make sure frame rate match is turned on. both options can be found on the same line under plex settings.
on app.plex.tv through my computer browser, or on the plex settings on my nvidia shield?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

omk1980 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:38 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:33 am
omk1980 wrote:

on app.plex.tv through my computer browser, or on the plex settings on my nvidia shield?
these will be settings on the shield in the plex app
andcbii

Post by andcbii »

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but when I use tsMuxeR the .ts file that is created doesn't play video. With MPV and VLC I only get audio. My TV will not even play the file.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (114.44 KiB) Viewed 17091 times
picture shows my settings.

media info

Code: Select all

General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : X:\Movies\Own\1917 (2019)\Featurettes\1917-SEG_MainFeature_t01.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 66.2 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 58 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 79.6 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mb/s

Video
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID                                 : 6
Bit rate                                 : 75.2 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.378
Stream size                              : 62.5 GiB (94%)
Language                                 : English
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 168 cd/m2

Audio
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name                          : Dolby Digital
Codec ID                                 : 129
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 448 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 381 MiB (1%)
Service kind                             : Complete Main
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

andcbii wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:32 am
I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but when I use tsMuxeR the .ts file that is created doesn't play video. With MPV and VLC I only get audio. My TV will not even play the file. Capture.PNG picture shows my settings.

media info

Code: Select all

General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : X:\Movies\Own\1917 (2019)\Featurettes\1917-SEG_MainFeature_t01.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 66.2 GiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 79.6 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mb/s

Video
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID                                 : 6
Bit rate                                 : 75.2 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.378
Stream size                              : 62.5 GiB (94%)
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 168 cd/m2

Audio
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name                          : Dolby Digital
Codec ID                                 : 129
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 448 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 381 MiB (1%)
Service kind                             : Complete Main
I have the same problem with my TV's (GZ950B ) internal player, my media info for the HDR format is:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Hi,

2 questions...

People making TS or M2TS files why are you not just selecting the playlist file in tsmuxer from your decrypted ISO or BDMV folder?

Also, IF you/we get DV working from MKV on the Shield and other devices, how long do you think it will be before that ‘loop hole’ is closed?

DV from MKV will not work on the Oppo, You can’t even use Dolby’s Tone Mapping on HDR10 MKV files on the Oppo, HDR10 - TS, M2TS, ISO and BDMV work fine with Dolby Tone Mapping.

I keep saying, Dolby do not like MKV.
Sgt Hartman

Post by Sgt Hartman »

No video and only audio for Cloverfield too.
Sgt Hartman

Post by Sgt Hartman »

Ehm, I've a sort of stupid question about DV profiles but I just would like to know if while using all the software (TSmuxeR, eac3to, ffmpeg, etc.) we can pick the one we want or not. So far I'm getting only as final product dvhe 06.06.