Ripping Dolby Vision + Atmos into MKV for Mac?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
edward75

Ripping Dolby Vision + Atmos into MKV for Mac?

Post by edward75 »

Hello, I'm sorry but I'm new to all this and would like to be able to do this and wondering if somebody could do a tutorial for me to do this. I have a Mac on OS Catalina. Basically I would like to be able to play the 4K movie rips on my Apple TV through the Infuse or Plex app. So do I just rip the 4k movies through current MakeMKV 1.15.1, and don't need to do anything else? And when I rip it, do I backup or MKV it? And once I ripped it, will the MKV or backup includes the DV + DA already? I must admit I don't know anything about 'muxing' and so a tutorial will be great. Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: Ripping Dolby Vision + Atmos into MKV for Mac?

Post by Woodstock »

You cannot "just" do one thing and get either Dolby Vision or Atmos to work on anything. A quick forum search for "dolby vision" and "atmos" comes up with dozens of topics on the subject, which apply to the Mac as well as Windows and Linux.

Such as:
Dolby Vision and 1.15.1
Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.
Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

All of which are on the FIRST PAGE of the UHD discs forum, because they're so busy.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
edward75

Post by edward75 »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:34 pm
You cannot "just" do one thing and get either Dolby Vision or Atmos to work on anything. A quick forum search for "dolby vision" and "atmos" comes up with dozens of topics on the subject, which apply to the Mac as well as Windows and Linux.

Such as:
Dolby Vision and 1.15.1
Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.
Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

All of which are on the FIRST PAGE of the UHD discs forum, because they're so busy.
Thanks Woodstock. I did read through those threads and it actually made me more confused, lot of the posts mentioned are mostly for Windows and doesn't work on Mac and some of them doesn't really provide a guide, like when they mention transmux, I have no idea what that is and no idea how to transmux so that is why I created this thread and hoping to get a simple tutorial specifically for Mac and use on Apple TV with the Infuse or Plex app and hoping somebody could help. I will try though and continue to read thru those topics you mentioned and hopefully I can understand better and be able to do what I wanted to do. I apologize but I'm a newbie to all this, I'm just thankful for the MakeMKV for making it easy to MKV but other than that, my knowledge is limited. I will try searching youtube and google too but so far, nothing that I could find to help me. Thanks.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

And Google is your friend. Learn to use it for these common questions:

https://www.google.com/search?q=makemkv ... efox-b-1-m

https://www.google.com/search?q=makemkv ... efox-b-1-m

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... CAs&uact=5

There are thousands of existing tutorials/discussions on these topics already, which a quick search will return. You just have to take the time on your end to read and learn.
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

Again as these members have said, a quick search on google or even the forums provides a lot of good info. You DO have to take the time to read through it, take notes.

I shared my experience with UHD, 4K apple tv and Infuse 6 pro
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21843

Included an email support ticket I got back from Infuse developer.

Right now, I get HDR (Default HDR10) and 7.1 PCM from my MakeMKV 1.5.1 rips. The DV and DA info is there, just not extractable at this time. This will change in time.

My ¢2
Jango8

Post by Jango8 »

Does this mean that version 1.15.1 will successfully rip the entire contents of a UHD bluray title including DV and ATMOS then guys?

AND - will 1.15.1 include the ATMOS track in the .mkv conversion?

I did my Star Wars titles 2 weeks ago. If so, I need to re-rip these again?