Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Redhawk2000

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Redhawk2000 »

Confused here. No expert at all but wondering why when I rip a disc makemkv shows the DV info at that time. If I then open that file within makemkv it doesn't show those layers. Is that a bug or am I missing something?

Screenshots
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DrrKTz ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dt4p7Z ... p=drivesdk
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Not sure if anyone else has ran into this issue, but I was ripping the older mission impossible films earlier and noticed that for the ones that are in truehd 5.1 (1-3), it would always stutter/lockup during the first 5-10s of playback (plex+shield). The rest of the movie works fine once I skip past the intro. Might just be a problem either isolated with plex or the truehd 5.1 track as playing it back on my LG internal player with one of the other audio tracks doesn't have this issue.
Sgt Hartman

Post by Sgt Hartman »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:44 am
Not sure if anyone else has ran into this issue, but I was ripping the older mission impossible films earlier and noticed that for the ones that are in truehd 5.1 (1-3), it would always stutter/lockup during the first 5-10s of playback (plex+shield). The rest of the movie works fine once I skip past the intro. Might just be a problem either isolated with plex or the truehd 5.1 track as playing it back on my LG internal player with one of the other audio tracks doesn't have this issue.
Yes, I also do have issues with TrueHD 5.1 formats, e.g. Cloverfield, but also for non DV formats, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. Moving forward for a few seconds solves the issue.
cipher

Post by cipher »

siriusbox wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:50 am
Looks like ExoPlayer guys are not in the mood of give support to DV to MKV any time soon, they are suggesting to others make a pull request instead, https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/iss ... -628588167 I wonder if we have here in this forum someone capable of take a look into their code and do it, probably the first place to look at would be the code that allow .TS and .MP4 with Dolby Vision to work, but I'm not a programmer.

Maybe Mike has the enough knowledge and expertise to do something like that.
I'm obviously biased here, but wouldn't adding DV support to MKV's be something that should have a higher priority than the low rating they assigned and be something that one of their devs should be looking to add given they already support with DV other formats that aren't as popular. All the major players are currently moving towards a common solution for adding DV while it seems that the Exoplayer team are indifferent to this option.
Yadav

Post by Yadav »

MPC-HC the best player for HTPC, even this cant detect dolby vision ? It shows only "Main 10@L5.1@High" in Properties -> MediaInfo Tab.
siriusbox

Post by siriusbox »

Looks like the files which could be involved in give support for DV MKV on ExoPlayer are these:

Code: Select all

ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\extractor\mkv\Sniffer.java
ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\extractor\mkv\MatroskaExtractor.java
ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\video\DolbyVisionConfig.java
ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\mediacodec\MediaCodecUtil.java
And what seems like the current support for Dolby Vision for MP4 appears here, in the Sniffe file for mp4:

ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\extractor\mp4\Sniffer.java
I'm not a programmer (I'm familiarized with code for other reasons) but I'm pretty sure that give support to MKV in ExoPlayer doesn't require of make any advanced low-level code, is more a matter of know where to put existing code and mp4 sniffer file seems to be the clue to do the same on the mkv sniffer file.

Hope someone with better skills can do something with this info.

Regards.
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

I think our best hopes is someone like mike and/or yusesope looking into it, as they have a better understanding of how the mkv format works (and also how data is stored)

As far as i can see it, the player doesn't have any code for reading data from codecprivate. So it would require new code for reading data from there and utilize it it for the playback engine.
So i dont think it is a quick fix solution as the solution for DV is not fixing DV alone (The fix is pretty much a new way to store data in codecprivate which could include more stuff than just DV.

Maybe we can even get Moritz from MKVToolnix to look into it.

Although i program on a daily basis also i have absolutely no knowledge about how the format works, so work in general would take massive time which can be hard to get!

So im hoping for one of those 3 people to help look into it - both to help with the support, but also just to help their own products get better as they effectively get the standard out there and increase the usage of their products :)
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Sgt Hartman wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:26 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:44 am
Yes, I also do have issues with TrueHD 5.1 formats, e.g. Cloverfield, but also for non DV formats, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. Moving forward for a few seconds solves the issue.
Thanks for confirming! It does seem like an issue with Plex then if you’re also experiencing the same problem on non DV formats. Maybe a post on their forums could bring it to their attention?
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

siriusbox wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:18 am
Looks like the files which could be involved in give support for DV MKV on ExoPlayer are these:

ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\extractor\mkv\Sniffer.java
ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\extractor\mkv\MatroskaExtractor.java
ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\video\DolbyVisionConfig.java
ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\mediacodec\MediaCodecUtil.java
And what seems like the current support for Dolby Vision for MP4 appears here, in the Sniffe file for mp4:

ExoPlayer-release-v2\library\core\src\main\java\com\google\android\exoplayer2\extractor\mp4\Sniffer.java
I'm not a programmer (I'm familiarized with code for other reasons) but I'm pretty sure that give support to MKV in ExoPlayer doesn't require of make any advanced low-level code, is more a matter of know where to put existing code and mp4 sniffer file seems to be the clue to do the same on the mkv sniffer file.

Hope someone with better skills can do something with this info.

Regards.
I would say it is within

https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/blob/release-v2/library/core/src/main/java/com/google/android/exoplayer2/extractor/mkv/MatroskaExtractor.java
more specifically around around line 1061

case ID_CODEC_PRIVATE:
	currentTrack.codecPrivate = new byte[contentSize];
	input.readFully(currentTrack.codecPrivate, 0, contentSize)
I would expect that we during the reading of a codec private would have to throw data to the right location.

As it seems, nothing is currently done with the data as the readFully override seems to do nothing currently...

I can only find the override in a default here:

https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/blob/release-v2/library/core/src/main/java/com/google/android/exoplayer2/extractor/DefaultExtractorInput.java
So my guess is that an implementation has to be made so data can be thrown to the right places after that step :) - Most likely because codecprivate has not previously been used.
So the question here is to where and how ? - and does it require more implementations to be made during the way.

I wouldn't even know how to debug this without having a unit to test on
Kolci

Post by Kolci »

When I play a video, the Dolby Vision logo appears first, followed by the HDR logo, and finally the video plays in HDR, not Dolby Vision. Where will the problem be?
QuillzToxic

Post by QuillzToxic »

I've tried reading and following methods posted here but am still a bit lost, What I've done is:
1) Rip using makemkv
2) Make truehd + eac3 file using eac3to
3) Add MKV and Audio file into tsmuxer untick other streams than the video and eac3 audio stream.
4) Mux to ts
And when loading this file on my shield TV in kodi or VLC on my machine I get no video but do get audio? I tried it again clicking delete on the other streams (audio subtitles) on tsmuxer but it crashes VLC and only plays in HDR10 on the shield pro 2019 using kodi. What am I doing wrong? Is this the right/best method to do this?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

QuillzToxic wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm
I've tried reading and following methods posted here but am still a bit lost, What I've done is:
1) Rip using makemkv
3) Add MKV and Audio file into tsmuxer untick other streams than the video and eac3 audio stream.
4) Mux to ts
And when loading this file on my shield TV in kodi or VLC on my machine I get no video but do get audio? I tried it again clicking delete on the other streams (audio subtitles) on tsmuxer but it crashes VLC and only plays in HDR10 on the shield pro 2019 using kodi. What am I doing wrong? Is this the right/best method to do this?
You have to use plex or mx player. Kodi doesn’t support DV.
siriusbox

Post by siriusbox »

steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:11 pm
I think our best hopes is someone like mike and/or yusesope looking into it, as they have a better understanding of how the mkv format works (and also how data is stored)

As far as i can see it, the player doesn't have any code for reading data from codecprivate. So it would require new code for reading data from there and utilize it it for the playback engine.
So i dont think it is a quick fix solution as the solution for DV is not fixing DV alone (The fix is pretty much a new way to store data in codecprivate which could include more stuff than just DV.

Maybe we can even get Moritz from MKVToolnix to look into it.

Although i program on a daily basis also i have absolutely no knowledge about how the format works, so work in general would take massive time which can be hard to get!

So im hoping for one of those 3 people to help look into it - both to help with the support, but also just to help their own products get better as they effectively get the standard out there and increase the usage of their products :)
Yes, most likely because if we need to wait for ExoPlayer devs looks like we are going to wait for a long long time. But I've similar feelings with other players, like Kodi, they are not in the mood or not interested in - I guess - so "minoritary" issue.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm
QuillzToxic wrote:
1) Rip using makemkv
4) Mux to ts
Try using Kodi 19. I've heard from people saying it works, but I personally have no shield yet to confirm.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Grencola wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:43 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm
QuillzToxic wrote:
1) Rip using makemkv
4) Mux to ts
Try using Kodi 19. I've heard from people saying it works, but I personally have no shield yet to confirm.
When I tried the nightly a couple weeks ago, only single layer profile 5 was working. Profile 4/6 TS files were playing in hdr10 only.