Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
steffenmanden

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by steffenmanden »

siriusbox wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm
Tested the apk with Doctor Sleep and it works! What a feeling after so much time waiting for it! Atmos track and PGS subtitles also works, but looks like there is some memory leak or something because video starts to shutter after a while and any attempt of move the progress bar or fast forward ends with a reproduction failed message. Dont know if maybe is a problem related it’s not integrared with the full ”player” (Plex, Emby, whatever) maybe they make something on the file access part.

I made the test using FX Explorer to open the file using SMB on ethernet gigabit.

We can’t fully trust on ExoPlayer running in Shield, I read they are having, at least Plex are having, problems with memory leaks while playing. In fact, as a recent example, if you try to play a backup of Akira in 4K, which has a huge bitrate (98 Mbits or similar) and it shutters in Plex while it doesnt in Kodi.

Nvidia Shield is a mines field
Notice this too on my shield. Stuff gets sluggish after a while of playing 4k! I Think that Plex has a memory leak in their Custom version of Exoplayer... they dont take in all fixes unfortunately
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I get where they're coming from in asking for code not to be developed until a standard is "finalized". But, the stuff posted by yusesope should be taken as nothing more than a proof of concept. Up until he released that code, we didn't know if this would even work at ALL. It was ASSUMED it would but having working code as a PoC is always appreciated. I get it, they're worried about this code "escaping their control" but as long as everyone in this thread understands this is throw away code (sorry, yusesope, that's NOT intended as a slight against what you've done), then it should be fine. It's not like someone's going out to google play store and posting a working solution here. This is for the extreme "early" adopters to play with. That's it. Nothing more nothing less.

All that being said, yusesope, thank you for your efforts with this. The idea of actually playing a Dolby Vision MKV was a pipe dream a few months ago. Now, with your dedication and hard work, you've proven out the concept. Once a formalized standard is created, the code can be updated, players can start adding official(ish) support, and the tools to create these MKV's can be updated. This gives us an amazing future to look forward to. So again, thank you.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:41 pm

Notice this too on my shield. Stuff gets sluggish after a while of playing 4k! I Think that Plex has a memory leak in their Custom version of Exoplayer... they dont take in all fixes unfortunately
It absolutely has memory problems. It KILLS the tube version apparently. Even on the Pro it's not awesome. Plex has been working on cleaning it up. I think they have more work to do.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:21 pm
Stop talking nonsense. I pushed just as hard for support ( i requested the change for exoplayer, i asked for the addition in the standard - i even refered yusesope, Mike and mortiz to give it a go way back in this thread, as exoplayer requested is to make a pull request (which i think kickstarted his development).

It was done because it was expected that the standard was in place - now it is up for discussion again.

I can program myself, but it would be way way faster for a guy who worked with video programming already! Ill have to investigate a lot first, but will be doing so.

Your way of thinking leads to 100 different implementations and would leave players not able to do the same stuff as they all have their own preference.

Result?
Your mkv could work in 1 player and fail in 3 others.

Im pretty sure we all want it working everywhere.
Again, you're acting like because yusecope shared his implementation that everyone is going to all of a sudden adopt it as a standard? This is about showing that something is possible and not just "hey here's a youtube video of me doing something that I made up and may or may not work for you", it's allowing others to test it and see what the plusses and minuses are. Again, where has the movement been for 2+ years on this? Nowhere, until some people took the initiative to do something. Yes, they need to develop the standard so everyone uses it and it works everywhere. And yes I acknowledge your contribution in pushing them to do so. But when did you do it? When Mike took the initiative to add the capability to store it in the first place. And now yusecope has taken the initiative to show how it can actually be played. Once the MKV format is "fixed", then now there's already a place to start from in Exoplayer to adapt to the actual standard. Instead of starting from scratch. Maybe it wouldn't have taken much time without this step. But maybe this saves more time down the road. And maybe we find other issues that can be fixed along the way (like this refresh rate issue).
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:40 pm
yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 pm
olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm

I meant with your mods so it works with MKVs with DV haha!
Do you want me dead :lol: :lol: :lol: ?
For tonight I finished sharing :)

But I will give you one last gift for your future project!
I started taking a look at the code that you find here:
https://developer.amazon.com/it/docs/fi ... witch.html

I found it really interesting!
The standard version of Exoplayer will do just fine ;)

PS:
All of my links are down for the moment!
Why are you listening to this fool and taking your work down? Once again, anyone smart enough to use this is smart enough to know things will likely change.

Changing the standard version of exoplayer does me zero good, as I can't play my existing rips of mkv's with it, so I have no reason to try to investigate this change without already having the foundation of what you've done. Yeah, I could try to fix the refresh rate issue, submit a pull request and hope they merge it in, but now I'm still stuck with two versions which neither one fully does what I want it to do. (And I'm not trying to blast you for not sharing your code as it's your right to do whatever you want, just saying where my time is most useful.)
Better this way ...
We are all more peaceful and relaxed :) (me in the first place).

the standard version of ExoPlayer is fine for what you want to do (and I don't say it sarcastically).
If you make progress and want to share them, you will find me here next weekend.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:44 pm
I get where they're coming from in asking for code not to be developed until a standard is "finalized". But, the stuff posted by yusesope should be taken as nothing more than a proof of concept. Up until he released that code, we didn't know if this would even work at ALL. It was ASSUMED it would but having working code as a PoC is always appreciated. I get it, they're worried about this code "escaping their control" but as long as everyone in this thread understands this is throw away code (sorry, yusesope, that's NOT intended as a slight against what you've done), then it should be fine. It's not like someone's going out to google play store and posting a working solution here. This is for the extreme "early" adopters to play with. That's it. Nothing more nothing less.

All that being said, yusesope, thank you for your efforts with this. The idea of actually playing a Dolby Vision MKV was a pipe dream a few months ago. Now, with your dedication and hard work, you've proven out the concept. Once a formalized standard is created, the code can be updated, players can start adding official(ish) support, and the tools to create these MKV's can be updated. This gives us an amazing future to look forward to. So again, thank you.
Exactly. Too bad steffen has scared him and no one else gets to try this out.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:51 pm
Better this way ...
We are all more peaceful and relaxed :) (me in the first place).

the standard version of ExoPlayer is fine for what you want to do (and I don't say it sarcastically).
If you make progress and want to share them, you will find me here next weekend.
There's only one person who is upset with you for sharing your work.

Again, thanks for all your hard work, and I'm glad I was able to grab it.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:52 pm
Only the compiled version has been taken down to prevent it from leaking out of this forum and being misinterpreted as a finished product. If you have the means, which it seems like you do, all of the source code changes (minus the local browsing update) and instructions from yusecope are still available in the previous pages. Feel free to download them, make your changes, and compile for your own testing.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

olevelo wrote:
Come on!
"Scared" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, I hope you find out about how to implement frame change.
The Amazon code looks really well done.
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:48 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:21 pm
Stop talking nonsense. I pushed just as hard for support ( i requested the change for exoplayer, i asked for the addition in the standard - i even refered yusesope, Mike and mortiz to give it a go way back in this thread, as exoplayer requested is to make a pull request (which i think kickstarted his development).

It was done because it was expected that the standard was in place - now it is up for discussion again.

I can program myself, but it would be way way faster for a guy who worked with video programming already! Ill have to investigate a lot first, but will be doing so.

Your way of thinking leads to 100 different implementations and would leave players not able to do the same stuff as they all have their own preference.

Result?
Your mkv could work in 1 player and fail in 3 others.

Im pretty sure we all want it working everywhere.
Again, you're acting like because yusecope shared his implementation that everyone is going to all of a sudden adopt it as a standard? This is about showing that something is possible and not just "hey here's a youtube video of me doing something that I made up and may or may not work for you", it's allowing others to test it and see what the plusses and minuses are. Again, where has the movement been for 2+ years on this? Nowhere, until some people took the initiative to do something. Yes, they need to develop the standard so everyone uses it and it works everywhere. And yes I acknowledge your contribution in pushing them to do so. But when did you do it? When Mike took the initiative to add the capability to store it in the first place. And now yusecope has taken the initiative to show how it can actually be played. Once the MKV format is "fixed", then now there's already a place to start from in Exoplayer to adapt to the actual standard. Instead of starting from scratch. Maybe it wouldn't have taken much time without this step. But maybe this saves more time down the road. And maybe we find other issues that can be fixed along the way (like this refresh rate issue).
You know the apk you got is for a way that wont be used ?

And if you read my posts you could also see that coding should continue, but instead in a closed group meanwhile - test apks can be thrown all over, i dont care about those :-)
So you would be in the exact same position, bit wouldnt have exposed the code to be used by others in the current not-standardized way.

But dont see the point in continuing the discussion! So lets leave it be! We can all agree that yusesope does good work.
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:10 pm
olevelo wrote:
Come on!

Haha if you were scared of me this discussion wouldnt be here haha :mrgreen:
I think we can all be happy that we all have good intentions :-)

Have a good evening everybody! And good work yusesope! Hope the changes stick!
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 pm
olevelo wrote:
Only the compiled version has been taken down to prevent it from leaking out of this forum and being misinterpreted as a finished product. If you have the means, which it seems like you do, all of the source code changes (minus the local browsing update) and instructions from yusecope are still available in the previous pages. Feel free to download them, make your changes, and compile for your own testing.
I assume you're talking about here? https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 347#p90334

I'm not sure if the link was compiled or source, but whatever it is it's gone too. I might be able to figure out some of it from what was posted there though.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

yusesope wrote:
olevelo wrote:
Come on!

I'm not sure how useful the Amazon code will be. Apparently (I haven't tried it yet on my Shield as I only got it a few days ago) Prime Video on the Shield doesn't frame rate switch, and that's one of the uses for that Refresh Rate app. The link you provided looks like its Fire TV specific. But that's just my initial thoughts.
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

olevelo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:20 pm
yusesope wrote:
olevelo wrote:
Come on!

I'm not sure how useful the Amazon code will be. Apparently (I haven't tried it yet on my Shield as I only got it a few days ago) Prime Video on the Shield doesn't frame rate switch, and that's one of the uses for that Refresh Rate app. The link you provided looks like its Fire TV specific. But that's just my initial thoughts.
You should be able to figure out your issue with the main codebase of exoplayer - single layer dv works in mp4, so same issue should be there!
And Yusesope wont be able to avoid programming, so i doubt you have seen the last from him - even if i "scared" him :mrgreen: :lol:

And we discussed a lot for Maybe 2-5 days wait time :-P
Last edited by steffenmanden on Sun May 24, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

steffenmanden wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:12 pm
You know the apk you got is for a way that wont be used ?

And if you read my posts you could also see that coding should continue, but instead in a closed group meanwhile - test apks can be thrown all over, i dont care about those :-)
So you would be in the exact same position, bit wouldnt have exposed the code to be used by others in the current not-standardized way.

But dont see the point in continuing the discussion! So lets leave it be! We can all agree that yusesope does good work.
I can use it NOW though. I already re-ripped half my DV collection with the current version of makemkv (I was already ripping some new ones anyway, so I started the process in hopes that it wouldn't change). Without using this, to watch any of those rips, I have to convert to TS first, and use double the storage. Who knows how long it will take 1. Matroska or whoever to decide on the standard. 2. Mike to implement it in MakeMKV so we have standard MKVs. 3. Players to implement playback support.

It's your whole "closed group" mentality that I have an issue with. If what you really mean is "create a group that anyone with interest can join to help develop and test the implementation, and not share the information in this thread where it may be mistaken as official", then ok. But I haven't seen any postings of "here's the group". I've just seen you talking about how you're going to do everything in private, which to me goes against the whole concept of open source software.

Again, we're all on the same side and want the same end result. But walling yourself off to a few people doesn't really do anyone any good.