32-bit vs 64-bit MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
bearhntr

32-bit vs 64-bit MakeMKV

Post by bearhntr »

New to the software....looks like EXACTLY what I have been needing to RIP my BluRays (and maybe DVDs) to MKV for my new PLEX server. Forgive me as to signature, not yet configured. I have 3 questions:

1) I installed the software, and noticed that it installed the x86 folder. Strange that most all installations of Windows, now-a-days, are 64-bit versions. Is there a 64-bit version of this software? If so, how does one get it?

2) I also have the following machines:
a. MAC (well hackintosh) running macOS 10.14 [Mojave] on an Intel Core i5-3470 using the built-in GPU of the processor. It works flawlessly for all that I use it for. Also has 1 TB HDD with a 120GB SSD and 16GB RAM.
b. Home Built (my PLEX Server) running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro on an Intel Core i5-9400 using the built-in GPU of the processor. It also has 16GB or RAM, 120GB NVMe for OS and 2-2TB HDDs for storage.

When using MakeMKV - which machine would I get best speed and finalized output?

3) Does MakeMKV need a 'working' or TEMP folder? How do I place this onto one of the NON-SSD HDDs - in order to prevent wear & tear on the SSD drives?

I have about 40-50 movies and series on DVD/BR that I want to rip to the PLEX box - I know this is gonna take some time, but would like to make best use of my hardware.

Thanks in Advance,
*bh*
Woodstock

Re: 32-bit vs 64-bit MakeMKV

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV contains both 32- and 64-bit executables, and uses the appropriate one for the machine.

The machine with the fastest optical drive and storage path will be the fastest to rip with. Or use both at the same time.

To my knowledge, MakeMKV does not use a temporary directory. It buffers in RAM, and the size of the buffer can be set in the configuration, or allowed to "float" on a "space available" basis.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bearhntr

Post by bearhntr »

Thank You - Woodstock (one of my favorite Peanuts characters).... :-)

Great info - but now I see another problem. The system where I installed it - says it cannot find a USABLE DRIVE.

I find this strange, as I can play DVDs and BRs on it using the Drive. Attaching images from the HARDWARE INFO:
Media_BR_Drive.png
Media_BR_Drive.png (10.66 KiB) Viewed 8670 times
Media_BR_Drive2.png
Media_BR_Drive2.png (13.51 KiB) Viewed 8670 times
Any Ideas?

This is the SAME drive that was always in this PC - the motherboard was replaced and Windows 10 upgrade installed.

*bh*
bearhntr

Post by bearhntr »

Here is the error I am seeing:
MakeMKV_Error.png
MakeMKV_Error.png (22.59 KiB) Viewed 8670 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Windows is telling MakeMKV there are no optical drives. Probably a permissions issue, which started in late 2019 when Microsoft decided to tag programs that didn't originate from the Windows Store as "malware" or "ransomware", and refuse access to resources. A search for "Windows ransomware exception" will find MS's official word on how to enter an exception.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bearhntr

Post by bearhntr »

Woodstock....

Thanks for that, but I am not sure that is it. Some of the other stuff I have been reading on PLEX forums and others - state that Windows 10 cannot 'natively' play DVDs and BRs. I also find it VERY ODD that MakeMKV thinks there is no DVD drive in the computer. This VERY SAME PC (well new MB and RAM - but all other HDD is the same) had no problems.

I find that ODD, as it used to!!! I could put a DVD in the drive and it would play.

:::putting on Sherlock Holmes hat:::

-- now to get a response from MakeMKV as to my old purchased key/registration.

*bh*
bearhntr

Post by bearhntr »

Another UPDATE -- Apparently it is something in MakeMKV :( - as I downloaded and installed LEAWO BLU-RAY PLAYER - and it has no problem using the DRIVE (see image).

:!: Still waiting on a response from MAKEMKV themselves - as well as their SALES DEPT to recover my old registration/purchase. :!:
Leawo_Blu-Ray Player.png
Leawo_Blu-Ray Player.png (207.26 KiB) Viewed 8621 times

*bh*