What is the correct play list [insert title here]?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Grauhaar

Re: What is the correct play list [insert title here]?

Post by Grauhaar »

Expanded the titles and check the included audio and subtitle tracks.
Good Luck :)

Post by StormMeows »

Grauhaar wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:40 pm
Expanded the titles and check the included audio and subtitle tracks.
Thank you! I chose the one that has the same style of tracks as the back of my bluray case.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What he said. A check of blu-ray.com shows that there are "hidden tracks", like Japanese audio, on the disk, which may explain the additional mpls.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
StormMeows

Post by StormMeows »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 pm
What he said. A check of blu-ray.com shows that there are "hidden tracks", like Japanese audio, on the disk, which may explain the additional mpls.
I definitely understand that but why would they need 2 of the same exact movie for this purpose? It should be the same exact thing except one will let you rip the Japanese audio while the other lets you rip the Spanish audio. It just doesnt make sense why there are 2 lol.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There's only one copy of the movie (the m2ts), but two play lists that control which parts of that transport stream are available to the player.
skeller

Post by skeller »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 pm
If you aren't ripping a Lionsgate title, MakeMKV doesn't care about the Java runtime, so there won't be any messages.

But, if you know it's a Lionsgate disk, it should complain about the JRE not being where it expects it to be.
I'm on Windows 10 and I installed the JRE and am trying to rip You're Next Blu ray which is a Lionsgate title, but I don't see any mention of Java or JRE or anything in the MakeMKV logs (I turned on debug messages in preferences). I tried setting the "Custom Java executable location" to see if that did anything and it did not.

Any hints at what to look at? I can find the right playlist elsewhere on this forum I think but I'd like to understand how this autodetection works to save headache in the future.
reebok

Post by reebok »

I am wondering if I put the disc into a standalone bluray player, is there a standard way to figure out the correct title? I can get the length at least, but that is not always helpful. I am also wondering due to the mini movies that so many discs have. Thanks.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

skeller wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:05 pm
Woodstock wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 pm
If you aren't ripping a Lionsgate title, MakeMKV doesn't care about the Java runtime, so there won't be any messages.

But, if you know it's a Lionsgate disk, it should complain about the JRE not being where it expects it to be.
I'm on Windows 10 and I installed the JRE and am trying to rip You're Next Blu ray which is a Lionsgate title, but I don't see any mention of Java or JRE or anything in the MakeMKV logs (I turned on debug messages in preferences).
Believe it or not, that title does not have obfustication.
rodrigo081089

Post by rodrigo081089 »

So what happen if i choose the wrong playlist? Is gonna show the movie with a wrong order of scenes? I always picked the one with the large size
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

rodrigo081089 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:47 am
So what happen if i choose the wrong playlist? Is gonna show the movie with a wrong order of scenes? …
Yes. The file will play fine, but the scenes inside of it will be jumbled up. One recent movie I ripped it didn't have a jumbled scene until about an hour in, then one scene was out of order.
rodrigo081089

Post by rodrigo081089 »

But if makemkv found only one title with the right size that is the one i should rip right?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

rodrigo081089 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:03 pm
But if makemkv found only one title with the right size that is the one i should rip right?
Yes.
scastria

Post by scastria »

I must be missing something here. If a Blu-Ray player knows which title to play, that information must be on the disk somewhere, right? If it is on the disk somewhere, why can't MakeMKV use it so that it doesn't have to guess?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Because it is obfuscated in the Java-based menus, which look at a number of factors to determine what result is given. Some of those factors include checks to see if the player is authorized.
scastria

Post by scastria »

ok. Then on a Mac, is there a 100% reliable way to determine which playlist to rip without having to rip each one and watch each one looking for out of order clips? I found a perl script but that resulted in the wrong playlist. I found these forums for The Hunger Games, but that also resulted in the wrong playlist. I see many people mentioned put it in a player and let it tell you which one is correct (like you can do for DVDs). The issue is Mac has a built in DVD player that works for this, but not a built in Blu Ray player. So If I should buy a Blu Ray player for the Mac, which one is the cheapest that works best for determining which playlist to rip?