Robot Carnival won't rip with Audio

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
BetterOffEd

Robot Carnival won't rip with Audio

Post by BetterOffEd »

Hello,

I'm newish to MakeMkv but have had success with a number of discs already. I ran into an issue with the Blu-ray "Robot Carnival", which is a somewhat obscure anime that many may not have tried yet.

This disc has three Titles of the main movie track: two in English (one with warning, one without), and one with Japanese credits. Each of these Titles contains two Audio tracks, LPCM Stereo English and LPCM Stereo Japanese
I am able to rip any of these Titles successfully as long as I uncheck both Audio tracks, however, if either Audio track is checked, MakeMkv throws an error and fails to rip.

Below is the error displayed:
Saving 1 titles into directory D:/tmp/Plex_Ops/Robot Carnival
DEBUG: Code 0 at -)z6VSgqHN_H|`WxNE&G:121263360
DEBUG: Code 1 at &o}wM6/twkL4p8.9:121264165
DEBUG: Code 0 at K4M/?$T|dbX;omT7RsRD]:29400140
DEBUG: Code 0 at K4M/?$T|dbX;omT7RsRD]:29400140
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 1 to file D:/tmp/Plex_Ops/Robot Carnival/Robot Carnival_t01.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Thus, it seems MakeMKV doesn't like something about these audio tracks. Is this an error anyone knows how to work around within MakeMKV?
If there's no MakeMKV fix, does anyone know of another software I could use to capture the audio stream, and mux it with the video that MakeMKV ripped successfully?

Thanks
Hypothesis

Re: Robot Carnival won't rip with Audio

Post by Hypothesis »

I'm having the exact same issue but with Sailor Moon. Is it an anime blu ray specific thing?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV has no specific problem with LPCM audio; I rip disks with both 16- and and 24-bit LCPM regularly (yes, usually anime).

Are you attempting to convert the LPCM to something else during the rip?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
timay

Post by timay »

I just wanted to reply to say that I have the same exact issue and error message ripping disc 3 of Madoka Magica. Discs 1 and 2 work with no issues. I tried having makemkv convert it to flac with no luck. I was able to have makemkv backup and decrypt the disc with no errors. I tried using it again on the backup folder with no luck. I was able to open the m2ts files in handbrake with some minor issues so far. It doesn't know what language the tracks are and doesn't have chapters but was able to encode the video fine. This is obviously not ideal if you didn't want to re encode the video.
Vercious

Post by Vercious »

I know it doesn't help much but I saw this thread and decided to try ripping my copy of Robot Carnival and I had no issues; everything ripped fine.
LG WH16NS60 w/ LibreDrive Enabled
BetterOffEd

Post by BetterOffEd »

Vercious wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:49 am
I know it doesn't help much but I saw this thread and decided to try ripping my copy of Robot Carnival and I had no issues; everything ripped fine.
interesting, thanks for the info, maybe somethings wrong with the disc...
BetterOffEd

Post by BetterOffEd »

timay wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:36 pm
I just wanted to reply to say that I have the same exact issue and error message ripping disc 3 of Madoka Magica. Discs 1 and 2 work with no issues. I tried having makemkv convert it to flac with no luck. I was able to have makemkv backup and decrypt the disc with no errors. I tried using it again on the backup folder with no luck. I was able to open the m2ts files in handbrake with some minor issues so far. It doesn't know what language the tracks are and doesn't have chapters but was able to encode the video fine. This is obviously not ideal if you didn't want to re encode the video.
While this isn't ideal, I appreciate you laying out how you managed to get it working for Madoka Magica. I'll try the same with my Robot Carnival disk when I get a chance. I also find it weird only one of your Madoka disks had this issue. Seems like more evidence this is a disk specific problem, as @Vercious has indicated
BetterOffEd

Post by BetterOffEd »

For anyone else who has run into this issue, below are the steps I used to get a working MKV file with both LPCM audio tracks using only MakeMKV and MKVToolNIX GUI:
  • Use the Blu Ray Backup feature in MakeMKV to get the backup file structure
  • In the BDMV/PLAYLIST directory, find the .mpls playlist you want to make into an MKV file
    • This is the hardest part, you will want to check the .m2ts files that are referenced in the .mpls file using the BDMV/STREAM dir to be sure you've found the playlist you want as an MKV file. In the case of Robot Carnival, 00000.mpls was correct for the Japanese text version. If you have a movie with different languages, you may have to hunt for the proper playlist
  • Drag the .mpls file you want to convert to MKV into MKVToolNIX GUI
  • Turn on Forced Subtitles on the appropriate track (if needed)
  • Hit 'Start Multiplexing'
    • MKVToolNIX will find the proper .m2ts files using the .mpls file, as long as you haven't altered the backup directory structure
    • MKVToolNIX will even add the chapters where they should be!
  • The output MKV file will exist in BDMV/PLAYLIST and should have expected audio and subtitles
This worked for me for Robot Carnival. Hopefully it will work for others who have missing LPCM audio tracks as well