Opening index.bdmv does nothing

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
transfigure

Opening index.bdmv does nothing

Post by transfigure »

This is my first time using MakeMKV on Windows. I've used it before on Mac with no issues. I made a decrypted backup of a Blu-Ray. Backup was the only option available in MakeMKV, and it seemed like a decrypted backup would be more useful than an encrypted backup. However, I can't play it in VLC—opening the folder results in VLC trying to open every single file in the folder alphabetically and hierarchically. I tried to open the backup in MakeMKV, but the application just sits there when I open the index.bdmv file. If I want to make a .mkv file, or to just play the movie directly from the backup, what should I be doing?
jinx100

Re: Opening index.bdmv does nothing

Post by jinx100 »

transfigure wrote:
Backup was the only option available in MakeMKV
The big disc icon on the lower left starts the decoding to make an MKV file. I can't imagine the interface being different between the Mac and Win 10. Opening the index.bdmv and then pressing the disc icon should be the same as having the disc loaded.

Maybe running or even installing MakeMKV as administrator would help.
transfigure

Post by transfigure »

Thank you, jinx100 for your response. I'll work on figuring out how to skip the backup step next time. For now, I have this backup. I'm told that I should be able to convert it to an MKV, but I see no way to do this. As I mentioned, opening up the index.bdmv file produces no results. I've tried running MakeMKV as administrator. Same nothing .
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

You are opening the index.bdmv file with the MakeMKV option "File->Open files" by navigating to the index.bdmv file? Never had any problems with this.
Good Luck :)

Post by transfigure »

Grauhaar wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:57 am
You are opening the index.bdmv file with the MakeMKV option "File->Open files" by navigating to the index.bdmv file? Never had any problems with this.
Yes, that is exactly what I'm doing. When I do this, nothing happens.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

As told, never had any problems with this. This works also for me if I select the "index.bdmv" direct from the disc. The selection should be something like the below screenshot.

Operating System, which version?
In case of Windows try it with MakeMKV as running as Administror (locate the makemkv.exe program and click right and select run as admin).
Attachments
2020-06-15 17_18_34-Select existing video source file.jpg
2020-06-15 17_18_34-Select existing video source file.jpg (28.47 KiB) Viewed 13379 times

Post by jinx100 »

tranfigure wrote:
Yes, that is exactly what I'm doing. When I do this, nothing happens.
Just to be sure, after you open the index.bdmv file you do press the animated disc button in the lower left? No decoding/analyzing starts until that large button is pressed.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

jinx100 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:45 pm
Just to be sure, after you open the index.bdmv file you do press the animated disc button in the lower left? No decoding/analyzing starts until that large button is pressed.
That's wrong. If the "index.bdmv" is opened over MakeMKV -> "File->Open Files" a Explorer Window opens, navigating to the backup BDMV folder, selecting the "index.bdmv" file and pressing "open" in the Explorer Window, and MakeMKV starts analysing the content. You cannot press the big icon if the "index.bdmv" file is opened.

Post by jinx100 »

Right again, Grauhaar!

Just opening the index.bdmv brings up all the available playlists. The disc button not needed. Just deselect any unwanted playlists and make an mkv of the selected one(s).
transfigure

Post by transfigure »

I figured out my problem: I was in the wrong folder. I had been opening the index.bdmv file in the following path:

G:\Video\backup\[TITLE]\BDMV\BACKUP

I should have been opening the index.bdmv file in this location:

G:\Video\backup\[TITLE]\BDMV\

I'm sorry for all the trouble. Thank you for your responses.