Cannot Rip Blu Ray Disc On New Drive

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Manannan

Cannot Rip Blu Ray Disc On New Drive

Post by Manannan »

Hello Experts,

I have being using MakeMKV for about five years.

I attempted to rip Blu Ray discs which ripped perfectly fine on my old computer (2013 vintage), but failed on my new computer with my new drive.

I say lots of posts about 'sending keys to Mike' but the ones I saw related to disc issues, not drive issues.

Here is the error:
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..002000800 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
<<Lots of these errors>>
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Saved AACS dump file as. ..
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

Is this likely to be fixed in a future update, and if so how long?

I was thinking about purchasing an old drive, how old do I need to go, and is it a waste of time because an update is coming.
Woodstock

Re: Cannot Rip Blu Ray Disc On New Drive

Post by Woodstock »

The type of errors you're seeing are usually caused by the drive not being able to read the key area of the disk, which makes it impossible for MakeMKV to calculate the decryption key, and the drive refuses to process requests.

Have you tried cleaning the disk, as pointed out in If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Manannan

Post by Manannan »

I think I can rule out 'dirty disc' as I tried multiple discs.

Also I can rip DVDS just fine.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Manannan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:22 am
I think I can rule out 'dirty disc' as I tried multiple discs.

Also I can rip DVDS just fine.
What drive are you using?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Manannan

Post by Manannan »

There is no brand on the front, but in the device manager it is listed as: Sharp BD-BRD50_AQ USB Device

Here is the link to where I bought it: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0 ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Manannan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:01 am
There is no brand on the front, but in the device manager it is listed as: Sharp BD-BRD50_AQ USB Device

Here is the link to where I bought it: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0 ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks
Your issues:

1. Ok, so this drive is not LibreDrive compatible (and may never be) which means that you can only process blu-ray discs up to and including AACS v76 (when using MakeMKV v1.15.1).

2. I'd say you have inserted a blu-ray disc that is newer than v76, which has now revoked the AACS host certificate and also, the volume key is unknown for that disc (this may be because of the revoked host certificate, I'm not 100% certain on that).

3. Anyway, send in the AACS dump that was saved and wait for a MakeMKV version update.

You are way better off if you have a drive that is LibreDrive capable, this way, you will never have to worry about AACS host certificate issues.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Manannan

Post by Manannan »

Thanks for your help.

1. I have the dump where do I send it?
2. These discs worked on an old drive of mine (2013), which I don't have anymore. If I purchase an old drive, might I solve my issues?
3. How long am I likely to have to wait until the new version of MakeMKV fixes the issue. I know you can't tell me an exact date, but can you tell me whether it will be months or years?
4. I don't have a desktop and am therefore limited to usb drives, can you recommend a drive which would be LibreDrive compatible?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Manannan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:44 am
Thanks for your help.

1. I have the dump where do I send it?
2. These discs worked on an old drive of mine (2013), which I don't have anymore. If I purchase an old drive, might I solve my issues?
3. How long am I likely to have to wait until the new version of MakeMKV fixes the issue. I know you can't tell me an exact date, but can you tell me whether it will be months or years?
4. I don't have a desktop and am therefore limited to usb drives, can you recommend a drive which would be LibreDrive compatible?
1. Send the dump to svq@makemkv.com

3. MakeMKV is updated quite regularly, so the wait may be a month or so. Sending that dump in promptly will help in this regard.

2 & 4. Don't purchase an old drive. Purchase a libredrive compatible drive and you will be all set. I assume you are in Australia as the amazon link you provided is for Australia? If so, the link in my signature should help you out with info regarding libredrive compatible drives, or you can email me: martymcnuts@outlook.com
Manannan

Post by Manannan »

Dump sent.

Thanks for your help.
Manannan

Post by Manannan »

Hello All,

I think after a lot of trouble I discovered that I think my problems were caused by my drive the Sharp BD-BRD50_AQ USB Device.

I plugged it into another computer and found that it couldn't rip the BluRays either, although the built in drive could. The built in drive which worked was not flashed with LibreDrive.

It was also unable to play any Blu Ray disk either on this drive either, not matter the program or computer. The built in drive could play the same discs.

I found other people complaining about similar problems to me elsewhere on the internet as well, although I lost the link.

Not to overstate my knowledge, but I would not recommend this drive for MakeMKV. I am trying to get my money back now.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Manannan wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:58 am
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..002000800 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
This kind of SCSI errors are fatal, because the device cannot understand something from the passed request.

From some SCSI documentation:
ILLEGAL REQUEST - There was an illegal parameter in the command descriptor block or additional parameter supplied as data. This is a probable software error.
Illegal Field in The CDB - Occurs when the device detects unexpected values in any field of the CDB (Command Descriptor Block) Probable software problem.

This means, that the device software did not understand what the requesting software initiates. Maybe a software bug in the firmware of the device. But with this error, it is not possible to access the data.
Good Luck :)