Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
chrisandy

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by chrisandy »

Epedemic wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:21 am
Shield owners might want to take a look at this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... ta-signup/

Not allowed to say what it contains though ;) :D 8)
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

Epedemic wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:21 am
Shield owners might want to take a look at this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... ta-signup/

Not allowed to say what it contains though ;) :D 8)
Signed up .... thanks for sharing!!
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Hello people!
After mike published some test files (HERE) I was pointed out that the file with profile 8 was not playing correctly.
My mistake:
I had forgotten to implement a version of DV used for files with profile >7.
This apk should work around the problem (uninstall the current Exoplayer first).

Sorry about the mix-up but, after returning home from university, I only have a Chromebook available (owned by my brother)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Nice! I'll give that a try later. Thanks for that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

I've tested again with my limited compatibility Fire TV Stick 4K, only FEL titles don't work in profile 7. :(
So the test samples for profiles 5, 7 (MEL), and 8.1 work fine, in case anyone has a similar device.
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

What's a recommended app for side loading APK's onto the Nvidia Shield TV, so I can run exoplayer under Kodi and watch my DV MKVs?
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

quietvoid wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:48 pm
I've tested again with my limited compatibility Fire TV Stick 4K, only FEL titles don't work in profile 7. :(
So the test samples for profiles 5, 7 (MEL), and 8.1 work fine, in case anyone has a similar device.
I have a Fire TV 4K stick. How do you make your single layer Profile 5 and 8? AFAIK, Fire TV does not have a support for dual-layer DV like profile 7 or 4
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Low Winter Sun wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:56 pm
What's a recommended app for side loading APK's onto the Nvidia Shield TV, so I can run exoplayer under Kodi and watch my DV MKVs?
I use x-plore.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

mulucy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:27 pm
quietvoid wrote:
I have a Fire TV 4K stick. How do you make your single layer Profile 5 and 8? AFAIK, Fire TV does not have a support for dual-layer DV like profile 7 or 4
They are from mike's test samples here: viewtopic.php?p=93868#p93868
As far as I know there isn't a way to convert FEL, but the specs mention profile 4 MEL support.
userr

Post by userr »

mulucy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:27 pm
quietvoid wrote:
You need to either do .mp4 with mp4muxer or .ts with right version of tsmuxer, yuse tool has a way to remove enhancement layer, which is profile 5/8
nekno

Post by nekno »

Maybe I've missed this, but what profile and DV layers/streams is MakveMKV 1.15.2 outputting, exactly?

I'm using the Paramount Braveheart UHD BD with Profile 7 dual-layer, dual-track BL+EL+RPU FEL.

MakeMKV properly reports "dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU FEL".

When I use eac3to on the BD's m2ts file, I can demux the FEL as a separate video track, so I get the BL in bl.hevc and the FEL (EL+RPU) in el_rpu.hevc, and I can use mp4muxer to remux those tracks into an MP4 file specifying dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU FEL.

When I use MakeMKV, the resulting MKV has a single video track... and the DV dynamic metadata (RPU data) stored to the new MKV spec?

OK, great. So what do I have stored in that MKV file?
  • A dvhe.07.06 BL+EL VES in a single-track, dual-layer stream with the RPU data stored in the new MKV format (so reconstructing 12-bit with FEL is still possible during playback)?
  • A dhve.07.06 BL video track with the RPU data stored in the new MKV format (so effectively reduced to a 10-bit MEL during playback)?
  • A dhve.08.06 BL video track with the RPU data stored in the new MKV format (so effectively reduced to 10-bit playback, same as dhve.07 with MEL)?
Am I right in interpreting that the MEL is an EL that stores the RPU data without a video stream, and the RPU data is the "dynamic metadata"?

So MakeMKV isn't packing the RPU data into a BL+EL+RPU VES, it's packing the RPU data into MKV header fields?
Last edited by nekno on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

nekno wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:28 pm
Maybe I've missed this, but what profile and DV layers/streams is MakveMKV 1.15.2 outputting, exactly?

I'm using the Paramount Braveheart UHD BD with Profile 7 dual-layer, dual-track BL+EL+RPU FEL.

MakeMKV properly reports "dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU FEL".

When I use eac3to on the BD's m2ts file, I can demux the FEL as a separate video track, so I get the BL in bl.hevc and the FEL (EL+RPU) in el_rpu.hevc, and I can use mp4muxer to remux those tracks into an MP4 file specifying dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU FEL.

When I use MakeMKV, the resulting MKV has a single video track... and the DV dynamic metadata (RPU data) stored to the new MKV spec?

OK, great. So what do I have stored in that MKV file?
  • A dvhe.07.06 BL+EL VES in a single-track, dual-layer stream with the RPU data stored in the new MKV format (so reconstructing 12-bit with FEL is still possible during playback)?
  • A dhve.07.06 BL video track with the RPU data stored in the new MKV format (so effectively reduced to a 10-bit MEL during playback)?
  • A dhve.08.06 BL video track with the RPU data stored in the new MKV format (so effectively reduced to 10-bit playback, same as dhve.07 with MEL)?
Am I right in interpreting that the MEL is an EL that stores the RPU data without a video track, and the RPU data is the "dynamic metadata"?

So MakeMKV isn't packing the RPU data into a BL+EL+RPU VES, it's packing the RPU data into MKV header fields?
MakeMKV merely merges the BL and EL+RPU tracks into a single BL+EL+RPU track with no information lost. The profile also stays at 7. The RPU dynamic metadata remains within the video stream and not in any mkv headers. All that's added to the mkv header is an indication that this file contains a dvhe stream and its profile information (the same one found in mp4 headers).
nekno

Post by nekno »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:17 am
MakeMKV merely merges the BL and EL+RPU tracks into a single BL+EL+RPU track with no information lost. The profile also stays at 7. The RPU dynamic metadata remains within the video stream and not in any mkv headers. All that's added to the mkv header is an indication that this file contains a dvhe stream and its profile information (the same one found in mp4 headers).
This is excellent, thank you.

Despite all the info being intact, given that standalone UHD BD players seem to be the only hardware that support dvhe.07 FEL, is the best we can hope for with the landscape today finding either dvhe.07 MEL support or pathways to convert to dvhe.08 (where BL+RPU is all that's used)? Or did I miss some STBs/TVs that support dvhe.07 FEL?

Converting to dvhe.05 to gain Apple TV 4K support doesn't seem like a practical possibility without transcoding, given the lack of BL cross-compatibility with the color space.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

FEL support is an open question on the SHIELD, but some of us are starting to question what the SHIELD is doing with FEL. It's really an unknown currently.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Hello Alpha and Omega testers! :lol: :lol:
New day, new apk (HERE)!
This time the focus is completely shifted to the audio sector.
This version therefore DOES NOT INCLUDE the code to play DV movies.

Two main points:
  • maybe I have found a way to distinguish DTS audio from DTS HD audio within an mkv file.
    If you want, test this apk with the samples you find HERE.
    Does your AVR correctly show the HD track?
    In the case of multitrack audio, can you switch between them without problems?
  • I've integrated FFmpeg.
    Devices that do not have a specific hardware decoder should be able to decode the audio track as PCM (lossless audio without metadata). Far better than any ac3, eac3 and aac track.
    For example, a Fire Stick 4K should be able to read an ATMOS track like a PCM.
    If interested, you can test the apk with the files you find HERE and HERE.
Let me know!