Official Dolby Vision MKV spec support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: Official Dolby Vision MKV spec support

Post by SamuriHL »

bobbymkV wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:51 pm
SamuriHL wrote:I agree with that. I find it very unlikely OPPO responds at all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Oh they still have customer support for inquiries and warranty, but the engineers are long gone. So he would get an answer, just not the one he is hoping for.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Well, ok, I guess a response but even that's not guaranteed. They're likely only interested in spending money on supporting existing functionality they are obligated to support. They are a business, after all, and there's zero money to be made on this.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

Will the next version of Makemkv support muxing an MKV with 2 video streams (made with mkvtoolnix from an old Makemkv backup) into a DV-compliant MKV?
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

Zidoo Z9X recieved firmware update v6.0.22_G
among other things there is this

Code: Select all

24. Add initial support for Dolby vision MKVs (experimental function, support Profile5, 8 MEL)
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
m00se

Post by m00se »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:40 am
I've tried the P4 sample and it fails on Fire TV Stick 4K, so I assume it is FEL.
Please be kind as I am brand new here. I keep seeing this abbreviation: FEL and I can't for the life of me figure out what it means. I'm a bit overwhelmed with terms here!

Thanks for understanding
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Fuluer wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:02 pm
Will the next version of Makemkv support muxing an MKV with 2 video streams (made with mkvtoolnix from an old Makemkv backup) into a DV-compliant MKV?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&p=94209#p94209
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

m00se wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:53 am
quietvoid wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:40 am
I've tried the P4 sample and it fails on Fire TV Stick 4K, so I assume it is FEL.
Please be kind as I am brand new here. I keep seeing this abbreviation: FEL and I can't for the life of me figure out what it means. I'm a bit overwhelmed with terms here!

Thanks for understanding
It means Full Enhancement Layer.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

lexyz wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:25 am
Zidoo Z9X recieved firmware update v6.0.22_G
among other things there is this

Code: Select all

24. Add initial support for Dolby vision MKVs (experimental function, support Profile5, 8 MEL)
I’m not sure we we can choose to makemkv from profile 7 to 8 can we?
Also the million dollar question is what happens with the FEL in these cases?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

There's really no such thing as a profile 8 MEL, since the EL doesn't exist in profile 8. The support is likely just for the single layer profile 5 and 8 test mkvs that Mike created. There are no methods available currently to create any profile 5 or 8 mkvs. If this is the extent of the zidoo's dv playback capability, then it doesn't bode well for playing back uhd disc rips.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:10 am
There's really no such thing as a profile 8 MEL, since the EL doesn't exist in profile 8. The support is likely just for the single layer profile 5 and 8 test mkvs that Mike created. There are no methods available currently to create any profile 5 or 8 mkvs. If this is the extent of the zidoo's dv playback capability, then it doesn't bode well for playing back uhd disc rips.
I always wondered the same about Profile 5 and 8. AFAIK, there is no method to truly convert UHD disk profile 7 to Profile 5/8 with correct color space ( at least nothing available to public from Dolby Labs). I know with profile 5, it's always undefined color space. Profile 5 I have created with tools here and DVDfab is more like HDR10+, better than nothing and better contrast and punchy colors than HDR10.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

... which is sort of what I think the Dolby Vision VS10 engine Zidoo is blowing about, basically just active HDR..
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

shawnc22 wrote:
Its probably just a typo. Profile 7 with MEL works just fine on the Zidoo, though.
Fuluer

Post by Fuluer »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:07 am
Fuluer wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:02 pm
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&p=94209#p94209
When I tried to PM you...
"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature. "

Hopefully this post will get me over the hump :)
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Meister_Proper wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:20 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Its probably just a typo. Profile 7 with MEL works just fine on the Zidoo, though.
I think you are very active in Zidoo forums ( I have seen your username there ), do you actually own the unit? What are your thoughts about it in terms of DV support?
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

mulucy wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:09 pm
Meister_Proper wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:20 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
I think you are very active in Zidoo forums ( I have seen your username there ), do you actually own the unit? What are your thoughts about it in terms of DV support?
Yes, I own the unit. It's too early to tell as DV is still new for both, Zidoo and Realtek. Having said that, they added DV mkv pretty soon so I'm optimistic.
For mkv profile 5, 7 MEL and 8 are supported right now.
If you want to know anything specific let me know.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Meister_Proper wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:39 am
Yes, I own the unit. It's too early to tell as DV is still new for both, Zidoo and Realtek. Having said that, they added DV mkv pretty soon so I'm optimistic.
For mkv profile 5, 7 MEL and 8 are supported right now.
If you want to know anything specific let me know.
Do you happen to have a UHD Bluray player or an LG Oled TV to do some playback comparisons of an MEL title? Mostly just interested to see if there are any color issues on the Zidoo.