jayper

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by jayper »

userr wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm
yusesope wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:44 pm
Hi testers!
Today it was really too hot...that's why I spent a few hours coding with the aim of implementing chapters support (for mkv files only).
The code is very "basic" (to say the least :lol:) and I hope it works properly!
Furthermore, if you open the app directly, you can play the test files that mike has made available.

HERE you can find the new apk.

Let me know!
when using this apk as external player for kodi, im guesssing you cant use zoomfunctions anymore?
It depends on the functionality of the external player used. All Kodi functionality ceases to play a role in playback, as you're using a different player.

As it relates to the custom ExoPlayer, no there is no zoom option in the version, as it is largely a proof of concept to show that DV content from MKVs can be played.
Last edited by jayper on Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spink123

Post by spink123 »

Hi guys, I’m new to this software and trying to see if there’s a step by step tutorial to rip raw blu-ray movies to extract Dolby Vision + Atmos into a format to be played by Plex in Shield 2019?

I tried to read through this thread but seems like there are bits and pieces of info so I’m not sure what is the latest. As of now are we able to rip them into mkv format or only mp4 and ts formats are supported? Any pros and cons in the various formats?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Dinst

Post by Dinst »

spink123 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:32 am
Hi guys, I’m new to this software and trying to see if there’s a step by step tutorial to rip raw blu-ray movies to extract Dolby Vision + Atmos into a format to be played by Plex in Shield 2019?

I tried to read through this thread but seems like there are bits and pieces of info so I’m not sure what is the latest. As of now are we able to rip them into mkv format or only mp4 and ts formats are supported? Any pros and cons in the various formats?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
There's no step by step tutorial as such but all of the info that you need is here in this thread. Create an MKV with Dolby Vision using the latest MakeMKV (1.15.2) then read from page 62 on this thread for instructions on how to use the modified exoplayer.
spink123

Post by spink123 »

Dinst wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:11 am

There's no step by step tutorial as such but all of the info that you need is here in this thread. Create an MKV with Dolby Vision using the latest MakeMKV (1.15.2) then read from page 62 on this thread for instructions on how to use the modified exoplayer.
Thanks, read from page 62 and it’s more of using Kodi to play DV mkv movies with exoplayer. I tried using 1.15.2 and ended up with 2 mkvs files, I supposed one is the 4K rip and the other DV layer, now how do I combine them as one and with Atmos track inside?
Dinst

Post by Dinst »

spink123 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:47 pm
Thanks, read from page 62 and it’s more of using Kodi to play DV mkv movies with exoplayer. I tried using 1.15.2 and ended up with 2 mkvs files, I supposed one is the 4K rip and the other DV layer, now how do I combine them as one and with Atmos track inside?
They are both 4K MKV's with single layer Dolby Vision and Atmos but 2 different versions, you need to select only one version before you click MakeMKV.

Currently the only way to play a Dolby Vision MKV is with the modified version of exoplayer so if you're not confident doing that then stick to TS files until Plex update the native app on the Shield to play Dolby Vision in the MKV container.
Lkr721993

Post by Lkr721993 »

olevelo wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:50 pm
Lkr721993 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:44 pm
SOLARIS wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:07 pm
Got it working thank you for anyone who wants the config file it is attached place it in your directory and it will use the exoplayer as default just make sure you restart kodi
\\SHIELD\internal\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\files\.kodi\userdata
Thanks, that worked perfectly after installing exoplayer build linked a few pages back
Trying to load the demo content in the app itself fails, but I can navigate to a SMB share in Kodi, and launch Gladiator which I just re-ripped with 1.15.2, and I am getting both Dolby Vision and DTS X.

So for my feedback... I am using an nvidia shield 2019 tube for this - when kodi launches the video in exoplayer, it runs at 60fps. I open the mini menu on the shield to do frame-rate matching, but the display refreshes and exoplayer says it cannot play the file.

Gotta say this is an exciting time!
The built in frame rate matching doesn't work with exoplayer (I think it has to be added to exoplayer itself). Use the app from the Play store called Refresh Rate. There's a few posts about it here. It will properly detect the rate and display it briefly if you enable that feature, but it for some reason it won't switch automatically properly. What I did is in the Refresh Rate settings, set Exoplayer to be 23.98hz by default, since 99% of my DV content is that. And also mapped a key to my remote to be able to bring up the frame rate menu in case I do want to change it on the fly to something other than that (and have the pop up enabled so it shows me the detected frame rate at startup).
Thanks, this did the trick! I actually read a post to install Refresh Rate right after I hit submit on my previous post :(

Works perfectly, I get DTS X and Dolby Vision
Ulyank

Post by Ulyank »

Has anyone had any luck getting exoplayer to run on the 4K firestick?
I can side load it & get Kodi to use it as the player, but exo fails to play anything once open. (Even the sample files fail to play).
oldirtydog

Post by oldirtydog »

Dinst wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:00 pm
spink123 wrote:
They are both 4K MKV's with single layer Dolby Vision and Atmos but 2 different versions, you need to select only one version before you click MakeMKV.

Currently the only way to play a Dolby Vision MKV is with the modified version of exoplayer so if you're not confident doing that then stick to TS files until Plex update the native app on the Shield to play Dolby Vision in the MKV container.
My friend with ugoos am6 plus play the 5 demo mkv with mx player and vlc player :) the both players detect the DV
spink123

Post by spink123 »

Dinst wrote:

thanks, pardon me for being a noob but just want to be sure, from what I have selected in the pic when I click MakeMKV will I get the with DV+Atmos instead of just HDR10?

Will explore exoplayer once I have sorted this out, many thanks...
ragico

Post by ragico »

oldirtydog wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:10 am
Dinst wrote:
spink123 wrote:

My friend with ugoos am6 plus play the 5 demo mkv with mx player and vlc player :) the both players detect the DV
Not in my case. In my Ugoos am6 plus both mx player and vlc play the 5 demo mkv in hdr.
If played in kodi via yusesope exoplayer they all are triggered as dolby vision.
kweenie

Post by kweenie »

Hi, noticed something weird.

Title A Quiet Place. A FEL title.

When playing the mkv rip on a shield pro with the latest apk from yusesope, I noticed that the lighter scenes are “unstable”. They seem to slightly flicker. The background sometimes has some unstable “pinkish” blocks. This is very noticable in the beginning the shot of the missing persons at 1.05 and even more when they are in the shop from 1.25 to 1.30. Playing the disc on an Oppo and this is not present.

What could be the reason? Shield or rip (did it twice, no difference) or apk? Maybe someone with equal setup could double check.
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

All you need for Atmos is the "TrueHD" and the "DD" underneath it. Dolby Vision is kept by default, nothing you need to select or de-select. Also, if all you want is Dolby Atmos, instead of both Atmos and DTS, deselect the "DTS" tracks for a smaller file.
spink123 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:29 am
thanks, pardon me for being a noob but just want to be sure, from what I have selected in the pic when I click MakeMKV will I get the with DV+Atmos instead of just HDR10?

Will explore exoplayer once I have sorted this out, many thanks...
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

kweenie wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm

When playing the mkv rip on a shield pro with the latest apk from yusesope, I noticed that the lighter scenes are “unstable”. They seem to slightly flicker. The background sometimes has some unstable “pinkish” blocks. This is very noticable in the beginning the shot of the missing persons at 1.05 and even more when they are in the shop from 1.25 to 1.30. Playing the disc on an Oppo and this is not present.

What could be the reason? Shield or rip (did it twice, no difference) or apk? Maybe someone with equal setup could double check.
I just ripped my personal copy of A Quiet Place and have yet to watch it. I'll put it on here in a bit to see if I come across the same flicker and blocks you've reported.
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

kweenie wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Just watched the scenes you mentioned through Kodi+Exoplayer and saw no pink blocks or flickering of any sort - dolby vision was enabled. This is through a 2019 Shield Pro.
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

kweenie wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:25 pm
xmenw wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:20 pm
Just to confirm something, this DV included mkv files can only be played back on NVIDIA shield as of right now? I tried using my Oppo 203 and they only played in HDR10, is there anyway to play this on oppo except the whole backup, and which other hardware is able to do this?
Do not have a real Oppo, but the clone. That clone should be equal and indeed to get DV you need to play the full backup. The DV mkvs are not recognized as DV and it is more than unlikely that this will be changed. Only other file based DV option is using the 04.06 tsmuxer and remux to m2ts. But that has its minus, like no chapters as example.

With the APK from yuse, I can play the DV mkvs on the shield and works like a charm.

Hopefully exoplayer will be updated any time soon, so that Emby or other apps can use the DV version.
Thank you for confirming. I believe apart from the Oppo no other player can play a full backup UHD disc with the DV either right? I had been thinking of getting a secondary player to playback non-disc based media, but haven't found much for the full back ups except the Oppo clones minus the disc drive.