Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by SamuriHL »

I can't bring myself to even look at screen shots of that movie much less a video of it. :D I saw it in the theater and hated it. Never have a desire to witness it again in any form. LOL
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

lexyz wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:13 pm
RESET_9999 shawnc22 SamuriHL

Guys I would like to ask you to do some more pixelhunting :lol:

Here is Valerian test file (FEL) https://gofile.io/d/mpgn5a

Please compare it in HDR/DV mode on Shield. Take a close look on 0:33 mark
I wonder can you spot any difference in gradients around these areas on gun? :roll:
No need to compare anything anymore. The Shield just can't play the uhd-bd rips accurately yet.
I've been watching some Netflix on my shield (finally) with the vertex lately. It looks great.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:09 pm
lexyz wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:13 pm
RESET_9999 shawnc22 SamuriHL

Guys I would like to ask you to do some more pixelhunting :lol:

Here is Valerian test file (FEL) https://gofile.io/d/mpgn5a

Please compare it in HDR/DV mode on Shield. Take a close look on 0:33 mark
I wonder can you spot any difference in gradients around these areas on gun? :roll:
No need to compare anything anymore. The Shield just can't play the uhd-bd rips accurately yet.
I've been watching some Netflix on my shield (finally) with the vertex lately. It looks great.
We are not even 100% sure whether it's discarding the the second layer or not, correct? So many questions about Shield and no answers. Had high hopes! BTW, thank you for your hard work testing and posting videos/screenshots here!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

mulucy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:16 am
We are not even 100% sure whether it's discarding the the second layer or not, correct?
no way to tell for sure until they fix the color issue.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Today a pleasant discovery.
In the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc I found two Dolby Vision versions (FEL and MEL) of the same file.

I had never come across the same file encoded in two different ways.
It could prove to be an important step to reverse the Dolby algorithm and allow FEL -> MEL conversions.

Now smart people have to play "spot the difference" (I personally use HEVCESBrowser for a quick visual analysis).

For those who want to play, here are the files (40 sec cuts):
BL + EL & RPU (FEL)
BL + EL & RPU (MEL)

For those who want to view on the TV the files in question, use as always the tools you have available (mp4muxer, tsMuxer, MakeMKV, my tool, etc...) to create either Single Track and Dual Layer files or "classic" Dual Track and Dual Layer files.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Ah hell, I never even thought of that aspect. We've been playing with these files for a few weeks now to test the SHIELD. It never even occurred to me that FEL->MEL conversion would be helped by this. But, um, yea!
McZuzlak

Post by McZuzlak »

I watched them multiple times with the inbuilt player on my C7 and without a doubt I can clearly see the difference. FEL has more detail and the colors are more punchy.
I won't settle with a MEL only support media player that's for sure.
I'll wait a few more months to see if the Shield color problems are fixed, and accurate playback of FEL content is confirmed but if not I guess it's time to buy a ChinOPPO.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'll simply say I don't have a lot of faith that the SHIELD is going to end up having proper FEL support. Which makes it useless for DV playback IMO. We'll see.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I have the same feeling... :(
Bresnik17

Post by Bresnik17 »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:51 pm
Today a pleasant discovery.
In the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc I found two Dolby Vision versions (FEL and MEL) of the same file.

I had never come across the same file encoded in two different ways.
It could prove to be an important step to reverse the Dolby algorithm and allow FEL -> MEL conversions.

Now smart people have to play "spot the difference" (I personally use HEVCESBrowser for a quick visual analysis).

For those who want to play, here are the files (40 sec cuts):
BL + EL & RPU (FEL)
BL + EL & RPU (MEL)

For those who want to view on the TV the files in question, use as always the tools you have available (mp4muxer, tsMuxer, MakeMKV, my tool, etc...) to create either Single Track and Dual Layer files or "classic" Dual Track and Dual Layer files.
I have not yet been able to tell the difference between the MEL and FEL versions of your linked files on my LG internal player when muxed to Profile 7 MP4.

I am not able to properly create a DV TS file for my 2019 Shield from either of the sources that you linked. For some reason, I am not able to mux either set of HEVC files with your tool and finish at "100% 100% 100%", and the subsequent TS files crash in Plex after a few seconds.
BringerChaos

Post by BringerChaos »

Regarding making FEL and MEL Dolby vision files..

For FEL titles do I need to use mode 1 (BL+EL+RPU) of yusecopes tool in order to retain all necessary Dolby vision data?

For MEL titles are both mode 1 (BL+EL+RPU) and mode 2 (BL+RPU) suitable to retain all necessary Dolby vision data?

If the above isn't correct, whats the logic between choosing one over the other?
Also any info regarding which Dolby vision profiles would be suitable for my setup would be appreciated please.

Firestick 4K and Sony X9500G

Thanks in advance!
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

BringerChaos wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:36 pm

For FEL titles do I need to use mode 1 (BL+EL+RPU) of yusecopes tool in order to retain all necessary Dolby vision data?

For MEL titles are both mode 1 (BL+EL+RPU) and mode 2 (BL+RPU) suitable to retain all necessary Dolby vision data?

If the above isn't correct, whats the logic between choosing one over the other?
Also any info regarding which Dolby vision profiles would be suitable for my setup would be appreciated please.

Thanks in advance!
I guess if it's a MEL title you could also use mode 2 (BL+RPU) because the enhanced layer contains metadata only.

I could be wrong though.
BringerChaos

Post by BringerChaos »

MastaG wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:15 pm
BringerChaos wrote:

Thanks in advance!
I guess if it's a MEL title you could also use mode 2 (BL+RPU) because the enhanced layer contains metadata only.

I could be wrong though.
Thanks, that's my understanding also.

My current workflow is:

Mode 1(BL+EL+RPU) and tsmuxer 04.06 for FEL titles
Mode 2(BL+RPU) and tsmuxer 05.06 for MEL titles

If there are any flaws in the above, someone please do let me know. I'm still not sure on the profiles if I'm being honest.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Bresnik17 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:11 am
I have not yet been able to tell the difference between the MEL and FEL versions of your linked files on my LG internal player when muxed to Profile 7 MP4.

I am not able to properly create a DV TS file for my 2019 Shield from either of the sources that you linked. For some reason, I am not able to mux either set of HEVC files with your tool and finish at "100% 100% 100%", and the subsequent TS files crash in Plex after a few seconds.
In this case (and only in this case), don't worry about the counters: my tool is designed to handle huge files (and not test files of a few MB). v0.0.4a returns a correct file and I am sure that mp4muxer can generate playable files on TV (both ST-DL and DT-DL). But all this work is useless: the "differences" I referred to in my previous post are to be found on a binary level, digging between 0s and 1s, and not looking at the TV screen.

BringerChaos wrote:

MastaG wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:15 pm
BringerChaos wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:28 pm
Mode 1(BL+EL+RPU) and tsmuxer 04.06 for FEL titles
Mode 2(BL+RPU) and tsmuxer 05.06 for MEL titles
No, this type of use is wrong.
"mode 1" (default) should ALWAYS be used (regardless of FEL and MEL).
However, not all platforms can handle movies generated from the HEVC raw stream in "mode 1".

Devices, such as the Apple TV 4K, which can only play Dolby Vision profile 5 and 8 files must resort to "mode 2".
The files produced in "mode 2" are technically wrong (the topic has been debated in this thread many times, use the "search" box).
The use of this mode should be reserved for those devices that are unable to handle files produced in mode 1.
I don't encourage using "mode 2" (I just wanted to offer a free feature compared to DVDFab).
"mode 2" should only be used in "extrema ratio"

PS:
Any of your future questions has already been answered.
Use the "search" box and some key words (or search for my username, shawnc22, RESET_9999, SamuriHL, ragico, etc..)
RayDawGGG

Post by RayDawGGG »

I'm grateful and thankful for everyone who has worked on this project! I have a lot of DV remuxes(obtained from the wild). My playback devices are the 2019 Shield Pro and the LG CX. Every DV profile(4-8) I muxed using yusesope tool and tsmuxer play flawlessly in DV with Atmos/DTS:X on the 2019 Shield Pro via Plex. On MXPlayer Pro, only Profile 4 plays in DV, Profile 5 plays in HDR only(both with Dolby Digital only). Profile 6,7,8 play with so much contrast that it makes the movie unviewable. These DV muxes play the same way as MXPlayer Pro does on the CX internal player and the CX Plex app. I muxed them all in -mode 1.. then I read that was wrong, so i muxed them again according to this:

Profile 4: BL+EL+RPU, SDR compatible -mode 1
Profile 5: BL+RPU, (Unspecified colorspace = IPT) -mode 2
Profile 6: BL+EL+RPU, HDR10 compatible -mode 1
Profile 7: track 1 BL non-DV, track 2 EL+RPU HDR10 compatible -mode 1
Profile 8: BL+RPU, HDR10 or HLG or SDR compatible -mode 2

Now that I read yusesope stating that -mode 2 is only for Apple TV 4K, I'm going to mux them again back in -mode 1 before I post screenshots. Whether I muxed them in -mode 1 or -mode 2 they all still played back the same way on all devices.. Trash in MXPlayer Pro and The CX internal player,.. Flawlessly on the Shield via Plex. Out of all the profiles, Profile 8 looks the best IMO on the Shield. The colors popped more and the picture was more detailed in Dolby Vision versus HDR. There is definitely a visual difference between the two on the Shield. We have to take all this with a grain of salt. We don't have 12bit panels to utilize Dolby Vision's implementation and color gamut to it's fullest extent. I'm pleased with everyone's efforts and am very ecstatic about finally being able to play my remuxed DV MKV's. I was worried that I'd have to re rip them from the UHD's that I don't have.. Fortunately, they didn't lose or corrupt their metadata by being stored in the MKV container.