Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DaMacFunkin

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by DaMacFunkin »

codeXRes wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:41 pm
Slightly off-topic but anyone here tried Watchmen Ultimate edition?

Makemkv managed to create the mkv file which triggers DV with Kodi on modded exoplyer. But tsmuxer latest nightly errors with the following:
tsMuxeR finished with error code -1.
B-pyramid level 2 detected. Shift DTS to 3 frames
Have anyone seen this before?
It isn’t an error that will stop you playing the file, it is a correction, I’ve seen it on loads of files over the years with TSmuxer.
ApexAftermath

Post by ApexAftermath »

Question for anyone that knows. So I have installed the custom exoplayer and placed the config file to make Kodi use it by default. Am I correct in understanding that if I use the Plex for Kodi add on to play files, it will use that custom exoplayer still?

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my 4K on Plex, or if I will just keep it all on a drive that is directly connected to my Shield TV. Anyone have any reasons why I should do one over the other? I had put a little bit of work into putting 4K banner posters on all my Plex 4K library titles, but if having a drive directly connected to the shield, and playing through Kodi is the best way then I will do that.
codeXRes

Post by codeXRes »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:36 pm
codeXRes wrote:

Makemkv managed to create the mkv file which triggers DV with Kodi on modded exoplyer. But tsmuxer latest nightly errors with the following:
tsMuxeR finished with error code -1.
B-pyramid level 2 detected. Shift DTS to 3 frames
It isn’t an error that will stop you playing the file, it is a correction, I’ve seen it on loads of files over the years with TSmuxer.
In this case TSmuxer ends the muxing task and produces a 0kb file.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

codeXRes wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:36 pm
codeXRes wrote:

In this case TSmuxer ends the muxing task and produces a 0kb file.
Will have to try it, originally did an mp4 of Watchmen
lujan

Post by lujan »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm
For those that are looking to make this work in the easiest way possible:

1) Rip to MKV with MakeMKV
2) eac3to titlename.mkv 2: titlename.thd+ac3
Note: titlename should be replaced with the actual name of the MKV
3) Add the MKV and the thd+ac3 track to TSMuxer
4) Remux to TS

I've done this to a few of them. Currently watching Ready Player One on my SHIELD Pro 2019 in Plex as we speak. This is fantastic.
I just recently bought a 2019 Shield and wanted to try to rip a DV title (probably Gemini Man?). Did this turn out to be the easiest way? I'm not sure what eac3to is?
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

lujan wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:47 pm
I just recently bought a 2019 Shield and wanted to try to rip a DV title (probably Gemini Man?). Did this turn out to be the easiest way? I'm not sure what eac3to is?
eac3to is a command line tool that lets you extract the audio tracks (including Dolby TrueHD and Atmos) from a video file. Then you can re-combine it with the video in TSmuxer. For some reason TSmuxer itself can't extract TrueHD tracks correctly, which is why you need to get them from eac3to (as far as I understand), but it can *combine* them correctly, provided you have the separate audio track. The exact command to use is in this thread in several places...double check this, but I think it was:

Code: Select all

eac3to.exe my_video_file.mkv 2:my_video_file.thd+ac3
How easy it is depends on your definition of "easy". haha I have a Mac and that eac3to utility is only available for the PC so I had to install VirtualBox, but every time I tried to extract the process would get hung...ugh, it sucked. After spending a day trying to convert one single movie I gave up that on that route. I did finally get it converted (The Matrix) but it didn't trigger DV for me on the Shield and I didn't spend any time investigating any further.

BUT, MKVs with DV on the Shield fallback to HDR10 so I'm okay with that until Plex gets native DV support. If I really really want to see a movie in DV, I'll pop the disc in.
lujan

Post by lujan »

Thanks, I was just interested more for testing now than to actually watch a movie. SamuriHL indicated on the original post that he was currently watching it on a 2019 Shield using Plex so I'm confused now. Maybe because he remuxed to a .ts file?
Last edited by lujan on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

lujan wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:30 pm
Thanks, I was just interested more for testing now than to actually watch a movie. SamuriHL indicated on the original post that he was currently watching it on a 2019 Shield using Plex so I'm confused now. :shock:
Yep, supposedly a properly muxed TS file WILL enable DV in Plex on the Shield (as well as TrueHD and Atmos)!

I wasn't able to get it working myself, but I only tried that one time. :(
lujan

Post by lujan »

I modified my last post to add that it was a .ts file. I'll try it and let you know if it worked.
Last edited by lujan on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lujan

Post by lujan »

Are you supposed to only choose one audio track when ripping the .mkv file? I chose all of the english audio tracks but I'm not sure this will work when creating the .thd+ac3 file?
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

lujan wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 pm
Are you supposed to only choose one audio track when ripping the .mkv file? I chose all of the english audio tracks but I'm not sure this will work when creating the .thd+ac3 file?
Hmm...I'm not sure how you tell eac3to which audio track you want it to extract. I've been ripping all of mine with just the single TrueHD/Atmos track so I didn't worry about it. I thought that maybe the extension you give the output, .thd+ac3, was somehow a hint letting it know you want the audio track that matches that format, but I really don't know. I'm sure someone else here does, but it might take a day or two to get a response.
lujan

Post by lujan »

Ok, meanwhile I"m in the process of muxing to .ts file now. We'll see.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

you don't need eac3to if you have the original m2ts file.

1- Create a DV mkv with MakeMKV
2- drag the DV mkv in tsmuxer (04.06 fix) : it will say the atmos track is ignored which is normal because tsmuxer can't process TrueHD file without core.
3- drag the original m2ts in the same tsmuxer instance and it will now accept the Atmos track
4- Select the track you want to keep and remux...
5- enjoy DV + HD-audio on the shield -plex
lujan

Post by lujan »

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Today, it seems that tsMuxeR is stuck at 6.9% with an error code -3.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:31 pm
you don't need eac3to if you have the original m2ts file.
Where do you get the m2ts from? Is that inside BDMV somewhere? If so I assume you need an unencrypted backup?