Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
hepe9

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by hepe9 »

quietvoid wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:19 pm
yusesope wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:59 pm
It goes without saying that these tests must be done on FEL titles. Do not use titles that are already MEL !!!!!
Just tried this and it works on the FireTV Stick 4K.

On archlinux, my steps (starting from a mode1 muxed BL_EL_RPU.hevc file):
Mux to mkv, split to make smaller.
Demux to hevc.
python app.py -lbf 50 -demux -fel_to_mel -if video.hevc
python app.py -lbf 50 -mux -bl BL.hevc -el EL_RPU.hevc
mp4muxer_64bits -i BL_EL_RPU.hevc --dv-profile 7 -o test.mp4

And it plays in Dolby Vision with ExoPlayer. :)
PS: there should probably be an indication or something to stop instead of just "Wait...", the default -lbf value just hanged because the file sample is small.
A Firestick playing DV profile 7?

In this thread I read to many people saying the Firestick can't play DV profile 7

I'm confused right now

Edit:
yusesope wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:45 pm
Finally, I join people who ask for the possibility to choose the most congenial DV profile: the dvhe.05 files obtained with my tool (or with DVDFab) are not standard at all (we are well aware of that) but there are devices (Apple TV, Fire Stick 4K) which can only play this type of file!
yusesope wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:58 am
Do you guys want to check the correct functioning of my tool?
Well, create an mp4 file with Dolby's mp4muxer (bearing in mind the limitations of the individual device, like MEL vs FEL or hardware capability):
"-mode 1" (default mode) in my tool and "--dv-profile 4" in mp4muxer for owners of the new Shield (2019)
"-mode 1" (default mode) in my tool and "--dv-profile 7" (maybe also --dv-profile 4) in mp4muxer for owners of LG OLED TV (ninth, eighth
..series...maybe seventh series)
"-mode 2" in my tool and "--dv-profile 5" in mp4muxer for owners of Fire Stick 4K
This has changed?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

hepe9 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:08 pm
quietvoid wrote:
yusesope wrote:
It goes without saying that these tests must be done on FEL titles. Do not use titles that are already MEL !!!!!

Demux to hevc.

PS: there should probably be an indication or something to stop instead of just "Wait...", the default -lbf value just hanged because the file sample is small.

In this thread I read to many people saying the Firestick can't play DV profile 7

I'm confused right now
A device's inability to previously play profile 7 files probably has more to do with the fact that the BL and EL+RPU layers were in separate tracks and not the actual profile label itself.
pitrako

Post by pitrako »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:54 pm
quietvoid wrote:
Just tried this and it works on the FireTV Stick 4K...On archlinux...And it plays in Dolby Vision with ExoPlayer. :)
It always warms the heart to see "archlinux" written somewhere :D . Thanks for your feedback.
pitrako wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:17 pm
I need some .dll or something? MUX.bat works but MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_MEL.bat doesn't work, It shows the error I posted above.
PapitaHD wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:31 pm
Same error for me. I'm trying to convert/remux Gemini Man from a full UHD BluRay backup. Officially it's a FEL title, although it has about the lowest bitrare a FEL can have.
Later I'll try Saving Private Ryan.
Yes you are right. Your Windows needs THESE libraries (unpack the archive and place the two dll files where there are the files MUX.bat, DEMUX.bat, etc ...). It's not an elegant solution but it should at least work for these days of testing.
Let me know!
jcdr428 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:12 pm
Hi @yusesope, so you need tsMuxer to register profile 6 as profile 4 to be read by ExoPlayer, is this correct?
The files that are created by this latest version have as VUI:
0,9,16,9,2 for the Base layer
0,9,16,9,2 for the Enhancement layer.
The correct profile should therefore be 7.
Now I don't remember well but it seems to me that TsMuxeR currently generates files with profile 6 (but, I repeat myself, I could be wrong). If my tool proves to work, in my opinion, we should try to mark the ts files with profile 7 (and not 6).
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:39 pm
I think yusecope is suggesting that what tsmuxer is currently registering as profile 6 should go back to being registered as profile 7
Yep, Exactly!
I tried "A quiet place", It's a FEL title, in exoplayer through kodi and doesn't play, It stays at 00:00. And I think I followed all the steps (extract with FFmpeg, mux and convert to MEL and create a mp4 file with mp4muxer.
Last edited by pitrako on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:26 pm
hepe9 wrote:
quietvoid wrote:

Demux to hevc.

I'm confused right now
A device's inability to previously play profile 7 files probably has more to do with the fact that the BL and EL+RPU layers were in separate tracks and not the actual profile label itself.
Thanks for the answer :wink:
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

hepe9 wrote:
I'm confused right now
For what it's worth, I've mentioned already that I can play everything except FEL files on mine.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21937&p=93904#p93904
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

yusesope wrote:

As anticipated some posts ago, maybe I found the way to "convert" a FEL file to MEL.
This latest innovation together with the previous idea of ​​combining the two layers (BL and EL_RPU) in a single track, should guarantee the possibility of playing any FEL UHD-BD backup on Android devices equipped with a Dolby Vision decoder and capable of playing THIS file (+ my ExoPlayer) or THIS file.

Fingers crossed!
I’ll try and test over the weekend :D

I presume that this isn’t something that could be done ‘on the fly’ at some point? We would need to change the makemkv MKVs to these MP4s each time? I.e. wouldn’t be able to just play the FEL mkv using exoplayer.
ragico

Post by ragico »

Following Yusesope instructions, I did the full movie of Despicable me 3 (which is fel) from the original UHD disc backup. I also add an ac3 5.1 audio track to the mp4.
In the Firestick 4k the movie plays perfectly in dolby vision whilst the original fel gives only audio and black screen as all the fel movies in the firestick 4k.
I have used kodi 18.8 and yusesope exoplayer as recommended.
Perfect also the fast fwd/rear navigation.
In next days I will compare it with the original disc played on sony x700 feeding a Panasonic GZ2000 oled.
Yusesope you continue to amaze.
Thankkssssssssssss.
:) :) :)
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

kws53 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:32 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:16 am
<movie name>.eng.forced.srt
Thank you for the response. So using tsmuxer to mux my MI4.HEVC, MI4.AC3, and MI4.eng.forced.srt together into MI4.ts will result in PLEX playing the subtitles automatically?
it may work if you mux them to TS, I always leave .srt as external subs with Plex, that is what the .eng.forced switch is for. External is also the method for using .srt with Oppo.
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:54 pm
The files that are created by this latest version have as VUI:
0,9,16,9,2 for the Base layer
0,9,16,9,2 for the Enhancement layer.
The correct profile should therefore be 7.
Now I don't remember well but it seems to me that TsMuxeR currently generates files with profile 6 (but, I repeat myself, I could be wrong). If my tool proves to work, in my opinion, we should try to mark the ts files with profile 7 (and not 6).
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:39 pm
I think yusecope is suggesting that what tsmuxer is currently registering as profile 6 should go back to being registered as profile 7
Yep, Exactly!
Got it! I always assumed that dual PID were profile 7, and single PID were profile 4/6.
I will get it corrected in tsMuxer.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:26 pm
hepe9 wrote:
quietvoid wrote:

Demux to hevc.

I'm confused right now
Knowing this, I tried a Mel with Makemkv and Exoplayer with the Sony Xf90 and it all have red tones, the hardware of this TV is a crap if a simple Firestick can do it
pitrako

Post by pitrako »

At the end I muxed with tsmuxer profile 8 fix into .ts instead of mp4muxer and dolby vision worked on the native tv player (does not triggers dolby vision in exoplayer) but I get strong red colors on people's skin, too much.

EDIT: I tried again all the steps from yusesope but instead I used -mode 2 instead of default mode on his tool and this time It triggered dolby vision on exoplayer. All this on 1917 (FEL title).
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

hepe9 wrote:
This has changed?
I hope so

PlatypusW wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:48 pm
I’ll try and test over the weekend :D
Let us know! If you are using Windows, please read the central part of THIS post!
PlatypusW wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:48 pm
I presume that this isn’t something that could be done ‘on the fly’ at some point? We would need to change the makemkv MKVs to these MP4s each time? I.e. wouldn’t be able to just play the FEL mkv using exoplayer.
I wrote everything in C++, you could run my code on a toaster! The problem is the implementation: a good programmer would take a few hours ... I need my time. The idea of ​​integrating everything into ExoP has been in my head for a while but I still don't know if I have the skills to do it! I'll try it in my free time when I feel like it!
However don't worry: mp4muxer should only be used in these test days. As soon as @jcdr428 updates TsMuxeR (in order to get profile 7 files), you can start using it as it is much faster than the first one and allows you to create files with TrueHD/ATMOS audio included!

pitrako wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:33 pm
I tried "A quiet place", It's a FEL title, in exoplayer through kodi and doesn't play, It stays at 00:00. And I think I followed all the steps...
Did you also follow the first important step?
yusesope wrote:
......playing any FEL UHD-BD backup on Android devices equipped with a Dolby Vision decoder and capable of playing THIS file (+ my ExoPlayer) or THIS file....
Is your device capable of playing these files (the first only through ExoP)?
If the answer is no, unfortunately there is nothing I can do! However (and this also applies to @hepe9), take the positive aspect: if all goes well with a 40-60€ FireStick 4K you can play UHD-BD backups as MEL without giving up ultra-high resolution audio (PCM in most cases). I think this is good news! No?
pitrako wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:34 am
EDIT: I tried again all the steps from yusesope but instead I used -mode 2 instead of default mode on his tool and this time It triggered dolby vision on exoplayer. All this on 1917 (FEL title).
This is interesting ... But unfortunately I don't think it is the correct way to proceed!

ragico wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:12 pm
In next days I will compare it with the original disc played on sony x700 feeding a Panasonic GZ2000 oled.
I'm curious! You could also call @RESET_9999 and take some pictures together :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

jcdr428 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:28 am
I will get it corrected in tsMuxer.
Thank you for your time!
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

So for playback on LG (C8 in my case), some FEL movies like 1917 and Gemini Man would always give heavily stutter (both from USB HDD and Network)
Would converting them from FEL -> MEL fix this issue?
yusesope wrote:
... and this version of mp4muxer. Before testing an entire film I advise you to work with 120 second cuts.
Also would you happen to have a diff file for mp4muxer so I can build on Linux ?
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

MastaG wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:31 pm
So for playback on LG (C8 in my case), some FEL movies like 1917 and Gemini Man would always give heavily stutter (both from USB HDD and Network)
Would converting them from FEL -> MEL fix this issue?
yusesope wrote:
... and this version of mp4muxer. Before testing an entire film I advise you to work with 120 second cuts.
Also would you happen to have a diff file for mp4muxer so I can build on Linux ?
Try and let us know!
I don't have it but there is an x64 version in the archive that I used on Ubuntu.
hepe9

Post by hepe9 »

yusesope wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:57 pm
if all goes well with a 40-60€ FireStick 4K you can play UHD-BD backups as MEL without giving up ultra-high resolution audio (PCM in most cases). I think this is good news! No?
Absolutely yes, very good news

I can't wait for comparatives :wink: