Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ktibor69

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by ktibor69 »

Hi,

Is there a way to convert dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU.mp4 file to Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU or dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU profiles?
Unfortunately my LG OLED TV plays the dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU.mp4 file in "Green screen":
ktibor69

Post by ktibor69 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:08 am
Decidueye wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:52 am
Hello everyone first post here complete newbie. I wanted to try if Dolby Vision playback with Mission Impossible movies is possible with my LG C9

First tried with Ghost Protocol. I followed the instructions on the first post and double checked, the new mp4 is successfully created but it doesn't work. The TV cannot read the file and says it is not supported.

Is there something I did incorrectly or is it because of the file or my TV?
What audio file did you create for your mp4?
Your LG won’t play an mp4 if the audio is True-HD.
Try to set the True-HD audio track to the second audio track in the mp4 file.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

iamTa wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:41 pm
I've just tested this and it works perfectly on an Nvidia Shield!
Thanks for the feedback

Tomas wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm
unfortunately the link does not work :(
With my second upload I should have solved the missing libraries problem.
Refer to THIS post (ignore the red line).
Keep in mind that you are in the middle of a testing phase (FEL -> MEL, read HERE an HERE).
To create unmodified files, just use "MUX.bat" and "DEMUX.bat" (following the same logic of the instructions of the first linked post)
Decidueye

Post by Decidueye »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:08 am
Decidueye wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:52 am
Hello everyone first post here complete newbie. I wanted to try if Dolby Vision playback with Mission Impossible movies is possible with my LG C9

First tried with Ghost Protocol. I followed the instructions on the first post and double checked, the new mp4 is successfully created but it doesn't work. The TV cannot read the file and says it is not supported.

Is there something I did incorrectly or is it because of the file or my TV?
What audio file did you create for your mp4?
Your LG won’t play an mp4 if the audio is True-HD.
Yes, I did not use the TrueHD audio. I used the AC3 one for testing purposes. I also do not have dedicated streaming devices like the Shield.

Only tried playing it back through DLNA (through a Windows 10 PC) and USB drive using LG's WebOS app / internal player. Also the error message is "File is not recognized". But it should work since the OP used his USB drive as well?
mirror88

Post by mirror88 »

Thank you for your great works. If you like, I can provide a zidoo z9x media player for your test. It does not require a special version of exoplayer to be installed. DV Mel MKV files can be played directly.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

yusesope wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:39 am
iamTa wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:41 pm
I've just tested this and it works perfectly on an Nvidia Shield!
Thanks for the feedback

Tomas wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm
unfortunately the link does not work :(
With my second upload I should have solved the missing libraries problem.
Refer to THIS post (ignore the red line).
Keep in mind that you are in the middle of a testing phase (FEL -> MEL, read HERE an HERE).
To create unmodified files, just use "MUX.bat" and "DEMUX.bat" (following the same logic of the instructions of the first linked post)
My Windows download link doesn't work.
iamTa

Post by iamTa »

Tomas wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:39 pm
Everything played perfectly. May I ask how did you convert from FEL to MEL?
thank you very much
So these are the steps I take to convert FEL to MEL and remux with TrueHD/Atmos into an MKV:
  • Extract hevc streams with ffmpeg: ffmpeg.exe -i X:\BDMV\STREAM\XXXXX.m2ts -map 0:0 -c copy X:\BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy X:\EL.hevc
  • Feed both hevc files from step 1 into MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_MEL.bat
  • Feed single hevc file from step 2 into DEMUX.bat
  • Use latest tsMuxeR nightly, add both hevc files from step 3 into input along with X:\BDMV\STREAM\XXXXX.m2ts from step 1, remove duplicate video tracks and output to ISO
  • Use MakeMKV to convert ISO to MKV
These MKVs can then be played back using the modded ExoPlayer and potentially the latest Emby beta (I've not tested Emby).

I've converted and tested a few full length movies and the above method works flawlessly.

Thank you yusesope for all your hard work.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

iamTa wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 am
Tomas wrote:
thank you very much
So these are the steps I take to convert FEL to MEL and remux with TrueHD/Atmos into an MKV:
  • Extract hevc streams with ffmpeg: ffmpeg.exe -i X:\BDMV\STREAM\XXXXX.m2ts -map 0:0 -c copy X:\BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy X:\EL.hevc
  • Use latest tsMuxeR nightly, add both hevc files from step 3 into input along with X:\BDMV\STREAM\XXXXX.m2ts from step 1, remove duplicate video tracks and output to ISO
These MKVs can then be played back using the modded ExoPlayer and potentially the latest Emby beta (I've not tested Emby).

I've converted and tested a few full length movies and the above method works flawlessly.

Does this have any benefit versus the original method in the first page if I own a c9 oled tv? Sorry haven't followed this thread for a while.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

iamTa wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 am
Tomas wrote:
thank you very much

Can I ask for the ffmpeg download link?
Last edited by Tomas on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
userr

Post by userr »

Ive been reading this thread for a very long time, but i settled for a method that works for me, and im wondering, would there be benefits of doing it differently / with newer tools?

Im still using:
- tsMuxer (can be any version im just using it for demuxing)
- bl_el_rpu_builder_v0.0.4_alfa_initial_release (combining BL+EL+RPU)
- v1.0.0 mp4muxer (making the final .mp4)

Im using profile 4 with mp4muxer

I know i do not get lossless audio with this, but with my current setup it is not necessary, but i wonder, is there benefit picturewise to change these tools/steps?
Im in the process of buying new audio equipment so i guess i have to rerip everything (i guess thats one big downside of doing the mp4s)

Thank you
iamTa

Post by iamTa »

deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:10 pm
Does this have any benefit versus the original method in the first page if I own a c9 oled tv? Sorry haven't followed this thread for a while.
Yes, HD audio.
Tomas wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:43 pm
Can I ask for the ffmpeg download link?
https://ffmpeg.org/download.html
https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

yusesope wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:12 am
During decoding, the image generated by the data present in EL represents a residue (difference) of the original video content compared to the image obtained by processing the data present in BL.
EL is a 10-bit video bitstream that carries the residual between the mezzanine source and the base layer and the dynamic metadata for Dolby Vision.
By modifying the RPU the idea is to tell the decoder that the residual signal is equal to zero and that it should not bother to "read" the content.
The rest of the information, both static (eg, MaxFALL and MaxCLL) and dynamic (eg, min, max and avg luminance of each shot) remain unchanged.
By giving up the process of decoding the data in EL, I think it is normal that it is no longer possible to generate the 12bit signal as it was mastered by the creators (using monitors up to 10000 nits).
Keep also in mind that current consumer displays rarely exceed 2000 nits (LCD). OLEDs peak at 600-700 nits, and few home projectors are lucky enough to hit 150 nits. When the signal exceeds the capability of the TV, tone mapping is activated by reducing the luminance as the signal approaches the clipping point of the display (following a Perceptual Quantizer (PQ) curve, remaps luminance from the source values to the lower values the display can support)
Appreciate the explanation as always. From that snippet of the dolby docs again (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9_hnb9XkAEIsF5.png) and if I'm reading it correctly, it seems like when some content is mastered on a 4000-nit display, the creator has a choice of either using FEL (1000-nit base layer + differential data in the EL to reconstruct the original 12bit signal) or MEL (4000-nit base layer + metadata only and accept the information lost of not being able to rebuild the 12bit signal). I guess what I'm wondering is if it may eventually be possible to use the differential data in the FEL's EL to build that high luminance base layer and pretend that the creator had chosen to go the MEL route in the first place. Agreed that it's probably not a big deal with the limitations of today's displays, but just curious nonetheless :).
iamTa wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:01 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Yes, HD audio.

If you're playing off of the C9's internal player, then no. The C9 cannot playback truehd audio tracks and it also cannot play mkvs.
iamTa

Post by iamTa »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:51 pm

If you're playing off of the C9's internal player, then no. The C9 cannot playback truehd audio tracks and it also cannot play mkvs.
True, although you could use one of the Plex/Emby apps in the LG app store for HD audio but I assume they won't be able to render DoVi at this point.

For HD audio and DoVi MKVs you'll need a Shield/Fire Stick etc with the modded ExoPlayer.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

iamTa wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:18 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

True, although you could use one of the Plex/Emby apps in the LG app store for HD audio but I assume they won't be able to render DoVi at this point.

For HD audio and DoVi MKVs you'll need a Shield/Fire Stick etc with the modded ExoPlayer.
No, it's a hardware limitation, not a software one. LG OLEDs cannot process truehd audio, regardless of the app. If you try to use Plex at least, it will try to transcode. If you have to play files off of your TV, stick with mp4.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

deadchip12 wrote:
Does this have any benefit versus the original method in the first page if I own a c9 oled tv?
userr wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:58 pm
...and im wondering, would there be benefits of doing it differently / with newer tools?
No, no benefit! Unless you buy a high quality sound system.
Keep using mp4.
shawnc22 wrote:
I guess what I'm wondering is if it may eventually be possible to use the differential data in the FEL's EL to build that high luminance base layer and pretend that the creator had chosen to go the MEL route in the first place.
Basically you are asking for a DoVi software decoder :D ...
There would no longer be a need for a hardware decoder (and relative license).
Any device (powerful enough) could play DV content.
I'm sorry, I don't think I'm capable of it :mrgreen: