Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Larrikin

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Larrikin »

OK, so an update. AAC still only produced Stereo on my Sonos ARC. However, working with everything you did for me, I changed the codec to AC3, and boom - it works! Thanks so much mate!!! Dolby Vision and AC3 :)
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

@Larrikin

Cool. I'm glad it's working.

I'm curious about the AC-3. Can you post your conversion profile for it?
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:39 am
@Larrikin

Sure.

Here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<profile>
<!-- profile name - Default -->
<name lang="eng">AC3</name>

<!-- Common MKV flags -->
<mkvSettings
ignoreForcedSubtitlesFlag="true"
useISO639Type2T="false"
setFirstAudioTrackAsDefault="true"
setFirstSubtitleTrackAsDefault="true"
setFirstForcedSubtitleTrackAsDefault="true"
insertFirstChapter00IfMissing="true"
/>

<outputSettings name="ac3" outputFormat="AC3">
<description lang="eng">Save as AC3</description>
<extraArgs>-b 640k</extraArgs>
</outputSettings>

<trackSettings input="DTSHDMA-multi">
<output outputSettingsName="ac3"
defaultSelection="$app_DefaultSelectionString,+sel:true">
</output>
</trackSettings>

<!-- Save DTS as AC3 -->
<trackSettings input="DTS-stereo">
</output>
</trackSettings>
<trackSettings input="DTS-multi">
</output>
</trackSettings>

</profile>
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

dcoke22 wrote:
@Larrikin

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. I've come across a DTS X 7.1 sound track, and tried running it with the AC3 profile.

I got this error message and it wouldn't run:

FFMPEG_ERROR: FFENC002: [ac3 @ 0x7ff80d039e00] Specified channel layout '7.1' is not supported

Any ideas?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Larrikin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:25 am
dcoke22 wrote:
@Larrikin

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. I've come across a DTS X 7.1 sound track, and tried running it with the AC3 profile.

I got this error message and it wouldn't run:

FFMPEG_ERROR: FFENC002: [ac3 @ 0x7ff80d039e00] Specified channel layout '7.1' is not supported

Any ideas?
In ffmpeg you will need to downmix to 5.1 as AC3 cannot handle more channels than 5.1. Just add -ac 6 to ffmpeg command and it will automagically downmix to 5.1 channels.

I'm not sure if you can use the plain old DTS audio but you can use ffmpeg to extract the DTS core from a DTS-HD track by adding the following to your ffmpeg command: -bsf:a dca_core -c:a copy

And this also goes for trueHD. FFMPEG has an experimental trueHD encoder so you could try using: -c:a truehd -strict -2 -ac6
Last edited by MartyMcNuts on Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:21 am

In ffmpeg you will need to downmix to 5.1 as AC3 cannot handle more channels than 5.1. Just add -ac 6 to ffmpeg command and it will automagically downmix to 5.1 channels.

You also mentioned you would prefer plain DTS if possible. You can use ffmpeg to extract the DTS core from a DTS-HD track by adding the following to your ffmpeg command: -bsf:a dca_core -c:a copy
Hey - thanks for your interest and help. I don't prefer DTS as my soundbar can't support it, so apologies for confusion there.

As for adding -ac 6 to ffmpeg command, I'm not running my own instance of ffmpeg. I am using MakeMKV and using the profile above. Unless I am mis-understanding what you mean?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Larrikin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:26 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:21 am

You also mentioned you would prefer plain DTS if possible. You can use ffmpeg to extract the DTS core from a DTS-HD track by adding the following to your ffmpeg command: -bsf:a dca_core -c:a copy
Hey - thanks for your interest and help. I don't prefer DTS as my soundbar can't support it, so apologies for confusion there.

As for adding -ac 6 to ffmpeg command, I'm not running my own instance of ffmpeg. I am using MakeMKV and using the profile above. Unless I am mis-understanding what you mean?
Doesn't the script from dcoke22 use ffmpeg? I though he said that in his comment?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

@martymcnuts No. I am using this method:

Also, I was able to hack a conversion profile for MakeMKV 1.15.3 that seems to have converted a multichannel DTS track into a multichannel AAC track (using FFmpeg) while creating the MKV file. I've tested it a single time and verified the output using mediainfo.

I created a file with the contents below named aactest.mmcp.xml and put it in ~/Library/MakeMKV/aactest.mmcp.xml
So I used my own profile above for AC3 instead of AAC.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Larrikin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:36 am

Also, I was able to hack a conversion profile for MakeMKV 1.15.3 that seems to have converted a multichannel DTS track into a multichannel AAC track (using FFmpeg) while creating the MKV file. I've tested it a single time and verified the output using mediainfo.

I created a file with the contents below named aactest.mmcp.xml and put it in ~/Library/MakeMKV/aactest.mmcp.xml
So I used my own profile above for AC3 instead of AAC.
Oh, well. Just so you know, if you decide to use ffmpeg and mkvtoolnix, you can use ffmpeg to convert the audio to trueHD and mux with your video using mkvtoolnix.
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:45 am

Oh, well. Just so you know, if you decide to use ffmpeg and mkvtoolnix, you can use ffmpeg to convert the audio to trueHD and mux with your video using mkvtoolnix.
I'm literally giving that a go now :). I'm also going to see if I can upscale it to E-AC3.
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

MartyMcNuts wrote:

Actually, I should use TrueHD instead of E-AC3. TrueHD 5.1.

This is the command I used for e-ac3. What should change so it does TrueHD 5.1 instead?

/Users/larrikin/Applications/ffmpeg -i /Volumes/ATP/Media/Movies4K/Apollo.13/Apollo.13.1995.mkv -vn -ac 6 -sn -c:a eac3 -b:a 960k -map 0:1 /Users/larrikin/Disposable.Data2/audioe.ac3
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Larrikin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:59 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Actually, I should use TrueHD instead of E-AC3. TrueHD 5.1.

This is the command I used for e-ac3. What should change so it does TrueHD 5.1 instead?

/Users/larrikin/Applications/ffmpeg -i /Volumes/ATP/Media/Movies4K/Apollo.13/Apollo.13.1995.mkv -vn -ac 6 -sn -c:a eac3 -b:a 960k -map 0:1 /Users/larrikin/Disposable.Data2/audioe.ac3
change to:

/Users/larrikin/Applications/ffmpeg -i /Volumes/ATP/Media/Movies4K/Apollo.13/Apollo.13.1995.mkv -vn -sn -c:a truehd -strict -2 -b:a 1536k -map 0:1 /Users/larrikin/Disposable.Data2/audio.thd

also, if the audio you want to convert is greater than 5.1 channels then add -ac 6 before -map
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

MartyMcNuts wrote:

also, if the audio you want to convert is greater than 5.1 channels then add -ac 6 before -map
Thanks mate. I have started it and its processing now. I'm not sure it will give me the desired result though as one thing that popped up on the screen as its processing it is:

[truehd @ 0x7ff01684c400] Only mono and stereo are supported at the moment.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Larrikin wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:23 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Thanks mate. I have started it and its processing now. I'm not sure it will give me the desired result though as one thing that popped up on the screen as its processing it is:

[truehd @ 0x7ff01684c400] Only mono and stereo are supported at the moment.
It said that for me too

[truehd @ 00000172495239c0] Only mono and stereo are supported at the moment.

however, it also says a few lines below

Stream #0:0: Audio: truehd, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 1536 kb/s

When I checked the file out in mediainfo, it says it's 6 channel.
Larrikin

Post by Larrikin »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:34 am

Stream #0:0: Audio: truehd, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 1536 kb/s

When I checked the file out in mediainfo, it says it's 6 channel.
So TrueHD 5.1 played only silence on the Sonos ARC. It recognised the signal but no sound. Perhaps the bitrate was set too high? I know with E-AC3 Sonos ARC has a limit of 960k. I tried the E-AC3 version and it worked no problems.