Running a 4K disc after ripped

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Class316

Running a 4K disc after ripped

Post by Class316 »

So I ripped a 4K disc thanks to make MKV and my UHD friendly LG drive.

Now I have all the files on my computer. Including the BDMV folder.

Now in BDMV/stream I have 00001.m2ts and can play that on VLC and Leawo Blu-ray Player. Movie plays.

But how do I load the whole thing including the Menus? With DVD rips it's as simple as dragging the video_TS directory. Tried dragging menus and no luck. Doesn't work on VLC. On Leawo I tried opening folder and it's the same as opening the one file. So what am I missing here?

Any help is appreciated.
st4evr

Re: Running a 4K disc after ripped

Post by st4evr »

First, universally not all current software players support Blu-ray menus. The playback application being used has to support BD menus in order to play them. You have to look into whether the app(s) you are using support it or not. This is the MakeMKV support forum and this app is obviously not a video player of any sort, so that starts falling outside of what MakeMKV is for and its capabilities.

Last time I checked VLC does not support BD menus and Leawo had some support but was buggy at best from what I heard. I never have used either personally for playback since they lack options for me. Ultimately you may have to check with those respective app’s support/forums to see if they have improved or added support more recently and how to get it working.

Second, I know JRiver added support for BD menus a couple of years back and from some of my tests then it worked ok. Although some menus would break. However, I know first hand those developers are usually very active, so they may have improved support since. You could give it a shot and check out their support site/features. PowerDVD may be another option that I know used to support BD menus, but at least for me that app is the devil since it’s also buggy as hell and it’s an expensive POS.

Then there’s stand-alone hardware players, where some support playback from full folder backups (e.g. OPPO 203\205) with full menus, but you’ll also have to do your research on which ones currently can and which you can afford if interested in that route.
Class316

Post by Class316 »

st4evr wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:50 am
First, universally not all current software players support Blu-ray menus. The playback application being used has to support BD menus in order to play them. You have to look into whether the app(s) you are using support it or not. This is the MakeMKV support forum and this app is obviously not a video player of any sort, so that starts falling outside of what MakeMKV is for and its capabilities.

Last time I checked VLC does not support BD menus and Leawo had some support but was buggy at best from what I heard. I never have used either personally for playback since they lack options for me. Ultimately you may have to check with those respective app’s support/forums to see if they have improved or added support more recently and how to get it working.

Second, I know JRiver added support for BD menus a couple of years back and from some of my tests then it worked ok. Although some menus would break. However, I know first hand those developers are usually very active, so they may have improved support since. You could give it a shot and check out their support site/features. PowerDVD may be another option that I know used to support BD menus, but at least for me that app is the devil since it’s also buggy as hell and it’s an expensive POS.

Then there’s stand-alone hardware players, where some support playback from full folder backups (e.g. OPPO 203\205) with full menus, but you’ll also have to do your research on which ones currently can and which you can afford if interested in that route.
Ok I was thinking maybe I was doing something wrong. Thanks for helping me understand.

UPDATE:

I tried JRiver and it actually worked with the menus! WOW! Although I loath the interface and you can't play blu rays off the disc.
jayper

Post by jayper »

You can use VLC.

Open the Media dropdown> "Open Disc" > Select Blu-ray > "Browse" button > Navigate to the folder where you back up your discs > Open the folder of the movie you want to play back (you should now see the BDMV, CERTIFICATE & MAKEMKV folders) > Click "Select Folder" > Play button
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If the movie you open that way in VLC uses BD+ I don't think VLC will be able to play it.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Class316 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:57 am

I tried JRiver and it actually worked with the menus! WOW! Although I loath the interface and you can't play blu rays off the disc.
Of course you can. Integrate MakeMKV with it and you're done.
Class316

Post by Class316 »

jayper wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:41 pm
You can use VLC.

Open the Media dropdown> "Open Disc" > Select Blu-ray > "Browse" button > Navigate to the folder where you back up your discs > Open the folder of the movie you want to play back (you should now see the BDMV, CERTIFICATE & MAKEMKV folders) > Click "Select Folder" > Play button
VLC seems to crash when you try this.

Speaking of VLC I tried playing three 4K movies on it. Bram Stroker's Dracula and ET which I ripped. And Predator which I got via "alternate" means. ET did not work on VLC but worked on Leawo. On VLC it had sound but the picture was just black.

With 2/3 odds that eliminates the mighty VLC as my 4k movie player.
SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Of course you can. Integrate MakeMKV with it and you're done.
meh. I can just use Leawo to play blu rays off the disc.

So it seems to me

MakeMKV for ripping
Leawo for on the fly blu ray discs
JRiver for off disc blu and 4K
jayper

Post by jayper »

Re: the VLC crash. Can't really help you there. Have you done a full disc back-up and removed encryption? Is VLC up to date?

I ask as I have never had VLC crash when playing back full discs.
Class316

Post by Class316 »

jayper wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:50 pm
Re: the VLC crash. Can't really help you there. Have you done a full disc back-up and removed encryption? Is VLC up to date?

I ask as I have never had VLC crash when playing back full discs.
I presume I removed encryption if it runs on VLC and other players when I run just the file.

Using version 3.0.11 and looking at the website looks like it's the newest.