Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
badrobot

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by badrobot »

Decidueye wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:53 am
Hello everyone, newbie here.

When I play the new DV MKVs by 1.15.3 with the Shield, there's inconsistency. Sometimes it is direct playing DV and lossless Atmos / DTS:X fine, sometimes it is transcoding. And it gets worse -- when I play a DV file then switch to an HDR one then back to a DV file, it will more often transcode.

What I tried:
1.) Changing refresh rate on Shield settings - tried 59.94hz, 29.97hz, 60hz - all have problems
2.) Set Shield performance to Max - no effect
3.) Exit the playback and replay the movie - sometimes it works, sometimes does not and restarting and Shield is the only fix, but then after switching files, problem comes up again

On other non-DV MKVs, the Shield plays it just fine.

My setup:
Shield > Plex Beta 8.8.0.21074 > LG C9 (ULTRA HD DEEP COLOR ON, Passthrough, Bitstream) > eARC > Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar

Is this normal? I tried different 2.1 HDMI cables but the problem remains. Tried on different servers (NAS and Desktop PC). What might be the problem in my case?
LOOK at this thread at Plex Forum, may be a bug of plex beta.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/newest-beta-do ... 640693/107
I am not a native English speaker.
Sorry for my bad English.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

Decidueye wrote:

When I play the new DV MKVs by 1.15.3 with the Shield, there's inconsistency. Sometimes it is direct playing DV and lossless Atmos / DTS:X fine, sometimes it is transcoding. And it gets worse -- when I play a DV file then switch to an HDR one then back to a DV file, it will more often transcode.

What I tried:
1.) Changing refresh rate on Shield settings - tried 59.94hz, 29.97hz, 60hz - all have problems
3.) Exit the playback and replay the movie - sometimes it works, sometimes does not and restarting and Shield is the only fix, but then after switching files, problem comes up again

My setup:
Shield > Plex Beta 8.8.0.21074 > LG C9 (ULTRA HD DEEP COLOR ON, Passthrough, Bitstream) > eARC > Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar

Is this normal? I tried different 2.1 HDMI cables but the problem remains. Tried on different servers (NAS and Desktop PC). What might be the problem in my case?
Yes, the behaviour you are seeing is 'normal' at the moment. The Plex client for the Shield is still in beta and Plex are ironing out the bugs. It would be worth sending your client logs into Plex to help them troubleshoot.
kingdariocueto

Post by kingdariocueto »

spaced wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:40 pm
Great new release, seems to run a bit smoother on some discs I was having trouble with as well as a bit faster I think? Ford v Ferarri currently ripping @ 3.3x on WH14NS40 modded 1.04 firmware in a Mercury Pro bay direct connect to Mobo. Before I was lucky to get 2ish

So I understand, this new version still won't magically make DV/Atmos Mkvs read DV in plex via shield pro 2019 because that's still on Plex? I will continue to use tsmuxer 04.06 to get that to work?

Maybe this will fix the issue I was having on a few DV movies that were stubborn and wouldn't apply DV/Atmos with the above method. For me the troubled ones were Spectre, Skyfall, Braveheart which I read up a bunch on the forums that these were problematic for others to get DV to recognize on Plex/Shield Pro 2019 after doing the proper steps.

Also, first post, so hello to all fellow ripping nerds, I am still fairly new to this wild west of tech, I do come from a fairly technical background, just not this specifically. Been using MakeMKV for about a year now, purchased a key after it did so much for me and my UHDs.
Hey there fellow new ripper! Did anyone ever respond to you on this? I'm in the same boat; my previous and currently working workflow is MakeMKV 1.15.2 --> eac3to to extract ac3+thd --> tsmuxer to mux the MKV and extracted Audio into a .ts. Then the .ts plays in DV+Atmos streaming from Plex server to Nvidia Shield TV 2019 hooked up to Sony A8G (DV profile 5 only). Wondering if anyone can help with these questions:

1. Does my workflow change with the 1.15.3 update? If the end goal is DV+Atmos through Nvidia Shield TV Plex?
2. Are there pros/cons of having a library full of .ts vs .mkv saves? The .ts method seems to be working, so ya know if it ain't broke, why convert everything to .mkv?
3. What's going on with the DV profiles? I've been hearing that Sony Bravia is only compatible with DV Profile 5 but I have several .ts that show up as Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible from the aforementioned workflow that trigger DV through Plex. So first question is: is my intuition right that "dvhe.04.06" means DV Profile 4 and/or Profile 6 (i.e not Profile 5)? And if so, how does it work nonetheless in my setup? The Shield is doing something to ensure compatibility between the source file Profile and the output Profile?
jlpsvk

Post by jlpsvk »

kingdariocueto wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:16 pm
3. What's going on with the DV profiles? I've been hearing that Sony Bravia is only compatible with DV Profile 5 but I have several .ts that show up as Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible from the aforementioned workflow that trigger DV through Plex. So first question is: is my intuition right that "dvhe.04.06" means DV Profile 4 and/or Profile 6 (i.e not Profile 5)? And if so, how does it work nonetheless in my setup? The Shield is doing something to ensure compatibility between the source file Profile and the output Profile?
dvhe.04.06 = profile 4, level 6

Code: Select all

https://professional.dolby.com/siteassets/content-creation/dolby-vision-for-content-creators/dolbyvisionprofileslevels_v1_3_2_2019_09_16.pdf
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

Decidueye wrote:

What I tried:

My setup:

Reboot the app - kill the app process and then start the app again - fixed the problem for me. It seems that the Plex Android client app caches playback setting of files previously played (that is my guess). Renaming the mkv file name also works.
Decidueye

Post by Decidueye »

AngryVirginian wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:45 pm
Reboot the app - kill the app process and then start the app again - fixed the problem for me. It seems that the Plex Android client app caches playback setting of files previously played (that is my guess). Renaming the mkv file name also works.
Yeah also thought of this one, since there are days when I am able to play back DV almost every time and then some days that even after restarting multiple times still can't get it to work. Today seems to be a bad one, since I get black screen like 9 out of 10 times.

Tried that and tried clearing the app cache, even uninstalling the entire plex system (client and server) --- didn't work!

I guess in my case I just have to wait til Plex irons it out
ray_007

Post by ray_007 »

Decidueye wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:46 pm
AngryVirginian wrote:
Yeah also thought of this one, since there are days when I am able to play back DV almost every time and then some days that even after restarting multiple times still can't get it to work. Today seems to be a bad one, since I get black screen like 9 out of 10 times.

Tried that and tried clearing the app cache, even uninstalling the entire plex system (client and server) --- didn't work!

Having same exact issues with Plex beta app. Have to reboot to get things working but its still 50/50. Going to have to wait till Plex pushes a stable build.
Atzenkeeper500

Post by Atzenkeeper500 »

Hi together,

I brand new to the Community. I have ordered a Dolby Vision capable Sony TV and have already an Shield 2019 Pro with Kodi + installed Exoplayer here. My Files are on a USB Drive on my PC, mounted (Network Share) on the SHIELD 2019 Pro. If I want to create an playable Dolby Vision MKV, do I only have to create an MKV from my "UHD.iso" with the latest MAKEMKV 1.15.3 or what Steps do I have to do? I only want to keep the Audio Tracks that are aleady on the uhd.iso - as an example from Mortal Engines.

I found the Informations here to install the Exoplayer and the .XML Config in Kodi on my Shield, but how to make an working Dolby Vision MKV only with the Audio Tracks from the Disc seems to be more complicated (no Audio muxing from another Source). Or maybe it´s not complicated anymore if this latest MAKEMKV Version can do it with 1 Click?

Thank you.
Boss21

Post by Boss21 »

Hello Mike,

Please can you elaborate how should I convert my Dolby vision Ts file with profile 5 to Dolby vision mkv. I am new to it. It will be great help.
Thanks
Decidueye

Post by Decidueye »

After testing for a few days and playing back certain scenes (Black Panther - T'Challa vs M'Baku) like a million times, I got the color and brightness down on some scenes.

And I'm absolutely certain that the MP4 I created using the DV Mp4muxer method (direct play through TV), looks brighter than the MKV file played by the Shield Pro (through the latest Plex Beta).

Actually the first time I played that scene with the MKV and Shield, I immediately noticed it lacks the punch of the MP4 (direct played by the TV), but I was not that sure. Now, it's really obvious. I don't have the tools to show for it though.

I double checked my TV picture settings and they're the same on the Shield and for the normal playback on the TV (I have a C9).

There's something wrong with my setup/settings for sure. What could I have missed here? Is there an alternative to Plex? So I can isolate the issue. If the issue remains maybe it's the Shield?
phneutral

Post by phneutral »

ray_007 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:50 pm
Decidueye wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:46 pm
AngryVirginian wrote:

Having same exact issues with Plex beta app. Have to reboot to get things working but its still 50/50. Going to have to wait till Plex pushes a stable build.
Yep there are stability issues with the Shield Pro Plex beta, I had to completely remove DV titles from Plex, empty trash, before adding the new DV MKV back in, to trigger DV without issues. Before doing this I had problems with wrong audio stream playing, wrong language, transcoding. Maybe there's a better solution but I found this worked every time.

One persistent problem is a black screen with audio when resuming playback of a DV title, I've not isolated this to DV titles but it's happening on nearly all the ones I've tried.

https://forums.plex.tv/c/testing/player-betas/48
tatazildo

Post by tatazildo »

Hello, everyone. I know there's a 99+ page discussion on this topic but I'm new here so please take it easy.

I have several UHD BD backup rips which as far as I know have TS files with 2 tracks, one of them being a 1080p DV track. I can see Plex can now read DV data in MKV as long as it has one video track that also has DV information in it.

How would one go from these TS (or from MKV) dual-track files to MKV files that supposedly work on Plex? I have tried the methods specified on page 1 of this thread by Mike with no success (both MediaInfo and Plex don't show any DV information on the output MKV).
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

tatazildo wrote:Hello, everyone. I know there's a 99+ page discussion on this topic but I'm new here so please take it easy.

I have several UHD BD backup rips which as far as I know have TS files with 2 tracks, one of them being a 1080p DV track. I can see Plex can now read DV data in MKV as long as it has one video track that also has DV information in it.

How would one go from these TS (or from MKV) dual-track files to MKV files that supposedly work on Plex? I have tried the methods specified on page 1 of this thread by Mike with no success (both MediaInfo and Plex don't show any DV information on the output MKV).
Just load the backup and create an mkv from it. It shouldn't be any more complicated then that, though I'm sort of confused why you are mentioning ts files.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tatazildo

Post by tatazildo »

bobbymkV wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:53 pm
tatazildo wrote:Hello, everyone. I know there's a 99+ page discussion on this topic but I'm new here so please take it easy.

Just load the backup and create an mkv from it. It shouldn't be any more complicated then that, though I'm sort of confused why you are mentioning ts files.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I'm sorry, you're correct: files found within BDMV/STREAM directories are actually .m2ts (which I thought was a .ts variant). I've tried getting the largest file within that directory and MakeMKVing it but what happens is the DV video track disappears and what's left doesn't show any DV info. And thanks for the help.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

tatazildo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:46 pm
Hello, everyone. I know there's a 99+ page discussion on this topic but I'm new here so please take it easy.

Drop the TS file back into Tsmuxer and create ISO output.
Re-rip new ISO with latest makemkv if movie is MEL, if FEL follow Youscopes guide.