SDFtool Flasher

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts

Re: SDFtool Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mazdamundi wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:01 am
Sorry to have to bother with another trouble shooting question. I'm trying to flash my HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP60NB10. When I select the `HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-NM00800-212005070935.bin` from the mk-firmware-pack-20200720/MK/HL-DT-ST/BP60NB10 folder and select the enc option (not shown in screenshot)

file-selection.PNG

I'll get the following error

error.PNG

I tried the bin files for BP60NB10 in the old folder, but they too give me an error. Any suggestions on what I can or should do?

Below is my device information. I appreciate any help or advice any one has to offer.

Drive Information
OS device name: M:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP60NB10
Revision: 1.02
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:35
Bus encryption flags: 17

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
I really don't know why that did not work for you. Are you sure you checked "enc?"? Can you try using the command line?

Open windows explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV then open a command prompt by typing cmd into the explorer address bar and press enter. Now you should have a command prompt open showing the MakeMKV directory.

I see from the pic that "M" is your drive. (If the path to the firmware files contains any spaces, surround the path with quotes). Try this command:

sdftool -d M: rawflash enc -i "path\to the\mk\firmware\file.bin"

If this is successful, that is the first flash done! You won't see any changes as you are just flashing the MK version of the same firmware but you should not get any errors! Now for the second command:

sdftool -d M: rawflash -i "path\to firmware\BP60NB10 1.00-MK.bin"

If this is successful, you are done! Your drive will be on BP60NB10_1.00-MK.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
mazdamundi

Post by mazdamundi »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:12 am
mazdamundi wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:01 am
Sorry to have to bother with another trouble shooting question. I'm trying to flash my HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP60NB10. When I select the `HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-NM00800-212005070935.bin` from the mk-firmware-pack-20200720/MK/HL-DT-ST/BP60NB10 folder and select the enc option (not shown in screenshot)

<trimmed for brevity...>
I really don't know why that did not work for you. Are you sure you checked "enc?"? Can you try using the command line?

Open windows explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV then open a command prompt by typing cmd into the explorer address bar and press enter. Now you should have a command prompt open showing the MakeMKV directory.

I see from the pic that "M" is your drive. (If the path to the firmware files contains any spaces, surround the path with quotes). Try this command:

sdftool -d M: rawflash enc -i "path\to the\mk\firmware\file.bin"

If this is successful, that is the first flash done! You won't see any changes as you are just flashing the MK version of the same firmware but you should not get any errors! Now for the second command:

sdftool -d M: rawflash -i "path\to firmware\BP60NB10 1.00-MK.bin"

If this is successful, you are done! Your drive will be on BP60NB10_1.00-MK.
So, I turns out it failed because I had it plugged into USB2.0, not 3.0. I wonder if that's why MakeMKV was originally running so slow. Regardless, I was able to move it to 1.0.0. Thanks for your help MartyMcNuts.
mbalsamo9

Post by mbalsamo9 »

thank you for the great guide! when I run the flash tool it does not show my drive makemkv sees it but it does not show up in the drop down box on the flash tool, any ideas? I went to download .NET Framework 4.7.2 but it says it's already installed or a later verison is already installed. Not sure how to check which version i have. Any suggestions on what to try next would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mbalsamo9 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:47 pm
thank you for the great guide! when I run the flash tool it does not show my drive makemkv sees it but it does not show up in the drop down box on the flash tool, any ideas? I went to download .NET Framework 4.7.2 but it says it's already installed or a later verison is already installed. Not sure how to check which version i have. Any suggestions on what to try next would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
Do you have the latest version of MakeMKV installed?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
mbalsamo9

Post by mbalsamo9 »

I do, but thank you! I was able to get the tool to work I ran it as admin and it was able to see my new drive! Works great! I am going to build a new computer to use this drive as this one is a bit old and I'm thinking I will need a more beefy computer to rip my 4k collection. I cannot believe how much quicker it is to rip a blu ray! Thank you so much for all the information you have posted!
ubuntuuser

Post by ubuntuuser »

Requirements:

MakeMKV v1.15.1 (or higher) installed

.NET Framework 4.7.2
Sorry, for this simple question. Since I am a linux user, I have to ask, does SDFtool Flasher install the requirements automatically, if not, how do you recommend to install NET Framework 4.7.2? Why do I need Makemkv?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ubuntuuser wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:35 am
Requirements:

MakeMKV v1.15.1 (or higher) installed

.NET Framework 4.7.2
Sorry, for this simple question. Since I am a linux user, I have to ask, does SDFtool Flasher install the requirements automatically, if not, how do you recommend to install NET Framework 4.7.2? Why do I need Makemkv?
SDFtool Flasher is a front end GUI for the MakeMKV command line flashing tool, thus you need MakeMKV installed and if you have the latest win10 it may already include the correct .net framework. You will know when you try using the flasher.
ratman7788

Post by ratman7788 »

i am so lost i keep getting a error i want to use this drive to back up uhd disc
Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Serial number: SIKYV56JL5051
Highest AACS version: 61

LibreDrive Information

No disc inserted
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ratman7788 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:16 pm
i am so lost i keep getting a error i want to use this drive to back up uhd disc
Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Serial number: SIKYV56JL5051
Highest AACS version: 61

LibreDrive Information

No disc inserted
Easy peasy!!

1. Flash BP60NB10 1.02 from the MK firmware pack (with the "enc" option checked as 1.02 is an encrypted firmware).
2. Once that flash has completed, flash BP60NB10 1.00 from the "old" folder in the MK firmware pack.

Done! Start ripping UHD discs!!
ratman7788

Post by ratman7788 »

cool ty
Bruzer

Post by Bruzer »

Just wanted to add my thanks for the SDFtool Flasher! It made it super easy to downgrade my firmware.

Here's what I started with:

LG WH16NS40, Firmware 1.04, Mfg March 2020

Using SDFtool Flasher, here's the firmware file I used:

old/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin

Does that seem like the best one to use, or is another one recommended? Would I see any improvement in read speeds if I used a different one?

A couple things I noticed:

1. I was getting an error when I tried to flash the firmware while I had a disc in the drive. Once I removed it, things appeared to work fine. Sorry if I missed that in the notes.

2. Originally I had checked the "enc" box, and the flasher completed without error. However, when I checked the firmware version, it still showed 1.04. I reran it with "enc" unchecked and it then showed 1.02.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Bruzer wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:25 pm
Just wanted to add my thanks for the SDFtool Flasher! It made it super easy to downgrade my firmware.

Here's what I started with:

LG WH16NS40, Firmware 1.04, Mfg March 2020

Using SDFtool Flasher, here's the firmware file I used:

old/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin

Does that seem like the best one to use, or is another one recommended? Would I see any improvement in read speeds if I used a different one?

A couple things I noticed:

1. I was getting an error when I tried to flash the firmware while I had a disc in the drive. Once I removed it, things appeared to work fine. Sorry if I missed that in the notes.

2. Originally I had checked the "enc" box, and the flasher completed without error. However, when I checked the firmware version, it still showed 1.04. I reran it with "enc" unchecked and it then showed 1.02.
Stick with WH16NS60 1.02. It is the best for that drive.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Thank you so much! :D

I was so worried about the new 1.4 on my LG WH16NS40... disaster averted!
williamw38

Post by williamw38 »

st4evr wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:13 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:05 pm
You don't even need to flash your drive it's already compatible what are you running around bothering everyone with it for
Based on his post history:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 778#p96778

He broke something or the drive has somehow recently failed and is now struggling to try and recover it. Believing there is a correlation between the firmware and the uninstall he executed of the drive/drivers within Windows. It appears he’s trying everything under the sun to try and recover it. Be it blindly or not and totally unrelated to anything being discussed here.
i bought bu50n again from another manufacturer the first was from japan and this from china and concluded is bu50n is fully incompatible with my dell laptop, so i decided to buy the same one i have on my desktop for 3 years without problem and use with an case usb and plug alimentation now i am using wh14ns40 firmware original 1.03 now it plays all dvd regions all blurays areas run ps2 discs and it is 14x not 6x and it is way more cheaper since desktop parts are cheaper than laptop ones, so if you have an dell laptop dont buy laptop drivers buy an desktop one with an key bu50n costs 478 brl and wh14ns40 costs 140brl and the case 300brl because the font, eu plugin but it is way better only problem is that is heavy to transport so thanks anyway
cottonias

Post by cottonias »

I am stuck and have been for (sadly) over a year now. Here is my situation:

I have an LG WH16NS40 svc NS50 manufacturer 2016. I do not recall what the original firmware was when I bought this earlier this back in August 2019.

I have been able to use the SDFtool Flasher to flash WH16NS60 1.02 as I see Marty says it is best for this drive. I have use previous downgrade enabled firmwares and tried the MK firmwares and am not sure if I screwed something up along the way.

I am able to flash the drive successfully with WH16NS60 1.02 and it seems like everything SHOULD be working but when I put a BD in the drive, the drive sounds like it starts to read the disc and then I get the message in MakeMKV, "No disc inserted." I am able to open up DVDs with no problem. I am not even trying UHD discs, just BD discs.

Here is my drive info:
Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Serial number: SIK9EG******
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36

LibreDrive Information
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

I have been looking up and down the forum and not found a solution for this problem. For what it is worth, I am using this enclosure:
OWC Mercury Pro 5.25" Optical Drive External Enclosure (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR ... UTF8&psc=1)
MakeMKV v 1.15.3
SDFtool Flasher (v1.2.0)

I am hoping I did not brick my drive somehow. I had been able to open BD before messing with the drive firmware but LibreDrive was not enabled and I vaguely recall not being able to rip BDs. As it stands now, I have an expensive DVD ripper for my HP laptop. Thanks in advanced for any support I can get on this.