Toy Story 3 - Subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
DoubleSpeed

Toy Story 3 - Subtitles

Post by DoubleSpeed »

In Toy Story 3 there is a part where 'Buzz' speaks Spanish and the English translation is automatically shown as subtitles on screen, having converted the movie using MakeMKV these auto subtitles are now not shown, what do I need to do to retain them?
skittle

Re: Toy Story 3 - Subtitles

Post by skittle »

Hi, that part is probably in a forced subtitle stream. What player are you using to playback? Can it play back the other subtitle streams? Did you make sure to check the forced subs in makemkv?
DoubleSpeed

Post by DoubleSpeed »

XBMC for playback where is that setting?
skittle

Post by skittle »

Its an option when ripping the disk in makemkv, expand the first title and look at the subtitle streams.
Can XMBC play the regular bluray PGS subtitles at all? Im not a xbmc user so I do not know...

You can check with mediainfo, or try playing with latest VLC or latest (S)Mplayer. Both of these can playback bluray subtitles.
DoubleSpeed

Post by DoubleSpeed »

Actually the disk I have is a DVD rather than a BluRay, as far as I know XBMC can pretty much play anything and with the Aeon Showmix skin it's a really cool media centre.

I will try to expand the titles and see what happens - thanks!
DoubleSpeed

Post by DoubleSpeed »

Actually the subtitles seem to be checked by default please see the attachment so not too sure what to do now?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (42.68 KiB) Viewed 26707 times
skittle

Post by skittle »

(sorry i thought this was bluray) Try playing back the various english subtitle streams. Hopefully one of them will contain the track your looking for. Also I see other titles, perhaps one of those contains the subtitles. I know that is a hassle, but there is no other way to tell. DVD's commonly have 99% of the movie contained in many vobs, but contain alternate angles for some scenes with specific languages. Thats likely why there are different titles there.
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

I don't have the DVD, but the Blu-ray has two subtitle streams:

Text #1
ID : 5
Format : PGS
Codec ID : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Language : English

Text #2
ID : 7
Format : PGS
Codec ID : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Language : English

The first is English, the second is closed caption
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

I believe the Spanish translation section is embedded and not part of a separate stream
david2011

Post by david2011 »

I too am having problems as described by the initial thread. The subtitles for the spanish part seem to be contained in the 5th sub track on VLC menu, when i play the movie, however i cannot yet find any program to recognise sub stream 5 to just include it on a backup of the disc as .mkv. All i get is sub stream 1 to 4 which gives me subtitles at all speech points to varying degrees. The sub stream 5 is not selected by default.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (34.99 KiB) Viewed 26597 times
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

Can someone give me the timestamp on the Spanish part so I can check it out on my system?
DoubleSpeed

Post by DoubleSpeed »

dtblair wrote:Can someone give me the timestamp on the Spanish part so I can check it out on my system?
Yes it starts at 1:04:45 (1 hour, 4 minutes and 45 seconds in)
vernongreen

Post by vernongreen »

skittle wrote:Its an option when ripping the disk in makemkv, expand the first title and look at the subtitle streams.
Can XMBC play the regular bluray PGS subtitles at all? Im not a xbmc user so I do not know...

You can check with mediainfo, or try playing with latest VLC or latest (S)Mplayer. Both of these can playback bluray subtitles.
XBMC can play PGS subs... although the timing can be a bit messed up (meaning that the subtitle stays on the screen longer than it should). As I understand it, this is an issue with the media player they use and not specifically XBMC.
vernongreen

Post by vernongreen »

david2011 wrote:I too am having problems as described by the initial thread. The subtitles for the spanish part seem to be contained in the 5th sub track on VLC menu, when i play the movie, however i cannot yet find any program to recognise sub stream 5 to just include it on a backup of the disc as .mkv. All i get is sub stream 1 to 4 which gives me subtitles at all speech points to varying degrees. The sub stream 5 is not selected by default.
The forced subtitles may be embedded in the default English track (I am assuming you are looking for the english subtitles). The best way to dig out the forced subtitles is to use mkvcleaver and extract the default subtitle track (it will be in vobsub format; .idx/.sub). With BDsup2sub "load" the .idx/.sub files and "save/export" using the "Export only forced" option. This will create a new .idx/.sub pair. Using mkvmerge GUI you can merge the new vobsub (.idx/.sub) into the original mkv file - be sure to mark the "Forced track flag" of the new subtitle as "yes".

That should do it.

Other titles I have had to do this with include; Angels and Demons, Bad Boys II, Boondock Saints II, and The Da Vinci Code.

Regarding BluRay Discs... makemkv tries to find the forced subtitles for you and creates an extra subtitle track that didn't originally exist on the disc. I have found that, in some cases, the created track isn't 100% PGS compliant and can create issues. Additionally, makemkv does not set the "Forced track flag" on this track in the mkv container. It is debatable whether makemkv should do this. Honestly, makemkv should have to do this. The media player should use their default language to determine which subtitle tracks it should look at and play the forced subtitles without needing the "forced" option set on the mkv. But that is my $.02.
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

I don't know about the DVD, but in the Blu-ray, the Spanish is embedded in the standard English stream. It is not a separate subtitle stream